Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
Hi,

After the algal bloom was recently posted on the main site, I was reminded of this noise monster. Found this thread at fsb with a schematic. The thread went no further so I have no idea how accurate the schematic is. http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13616&p=153224&hilit=Ab+synth#p153224

Cheers,
Jack

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
This is per the schematic from the link. (I hope)
Don´t know if that schematic is correct..
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
Oh wow. That was quick. Thanks.

Any idea on the second switch setup. Is a 3pdt really necessary?

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

nice job doom, but there are a few errors.

as for needing a 3pdt switch, you could use a dpdt switch instead. if you do you won't have an LED unless you add a millennium bypass board to it.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
Ohh! missed that part. just looked at the schematic and start "layouting"
What I can see from the pictures. The other stomp is just "disconnecting" the trip-pot from the circuit.
So, to add a second switch (SPST will do it, if you don´t want a indicator led) just put the switch between vol 3 and trip 1&2.
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
Can you please tell me where te error is? maybe I´m blind after staring at the screen to loong..
Would realy appreciate if you can help me. trying to learn..
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

no worries man. i saw the post and made the layout before i saw yours. the schematic isn't showing the 2nd switch, so i was looking at the wire tracing image and something makes no sense. it shows that 9V is going to both stomp switches. from the demos it seems like its just an oscillation switch.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
Isn´t the +9V on the other switch just feeding the indicator led?
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

It might be. It's hard for me to follow with the colored in wire for some reason. My eyes keep going wonky. Still the 2nd switch is without a doubt and oscillation switch.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
The coloured wire did a job on me too. Great job guys. I really appreciate your help. I'm at a painting by numbers stage at the moment. Slowly learning and picking things up.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
I thought the 9v to the second switch was for the LED too but I can't see any CLR.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
Just seen what you said about the 3pdt. I meant for the oscillation switch rather that the main on/off. But thank you.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
I just built Rocket's layout and it seems to be working I didnt have any log pots so I used linear. The Texture control seems unusable for a lot of the sweep but this could be because it's linear. I lose all sound when fuzz is fully counter clockwise but that could just be the design of the circuit. I used a spst toggle of the oscillator switch.

I'm getting some really nasty tones. A lot of fun indeed.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

Ciaran Haslett
Hey Bro

Make a cut on the ground rail near the fuzz 1 wire and add a resistor to bridge said cut.  This will give you a minimum gain setting just like the big muff and stop the circuit going completely quiet.  Try a 1K maybe and work from there.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

The texture control is just a voltage starve, so it makes sense that at full CCW you've have no output cause the voltage is 0V. If you do what Ciaran suggests but with the texture pot, putting a resistor in series, you'ld have a specific voltage that would be the minimum amount set by the resistor.

The pot taper could be what's giving you not the best sweep, so changing to log pots should clear that up.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

BrotherLeech
Yeah that's what I thought about the log pots. Thanks for all the help guys. You've made me a very happy man. And I'm getting a new guitar tomorrow! Life is good

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
putting a resistor in series with texture (starve) would just make the effect not being able to get the full +9V? If you dont want it to starve completely, lowering the pot value is the right way to go? or putting a resistor between lug 1 & lug 3? Maybe I´m missing something..
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

edo1123
Guys, I'm trying to resolve a problem. Is it normal that part of the signal it's grounded? I mean, I've some kind of "overdrive" (and an amazing volume drop) when there's no power in the circuit and, when I insert the power, I've the effected signal in the background (the main sound I get it's the sound of an unplugged jack). Maybe I've just made some wiring mistake, but, in the background, sounds pretty amazing and it would be a loss for me to abandon it

Re: Fuzzhugger AB Synth

doomkraft89
Have you checked all the basics? Solder-bridges, cold joints and wiring etc..
The trip-pot is bypassing the whole circuit. So I would have disconnect that pot when debugging. otherwise you can be fooled the circuit is passing signal when it´s not.
Post a pic of your board if you can.
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.
12