G2D Morpheus

Willard
Built the original but wanted more control over gain level so modified to add extra gain pot and repositioned the existing one. With the modified circuit, max out gain 1 and flick the switch to get back to the original.

Re: G2D Morpheus

glasspak73
Can i use J201 for Q1? Or is there any other jfet i can use?

Re: G2D Morpheus

Willard
J177's are P channel whereas J201's are N channel. Not sure of suitable substitute. You can get J177's through Futurlec.

Re: G2D Morpheus

Willard
Sorry, typo on first layout. Cap at point (D,C) should be 1000uF NOT 100uF.

Re: G2D Morpheus

Sphere80
Thank you Willard, wherever you are now.  I've been curious about this metal distortion w/ noise gate for some time and was pleased to find this old post.

I kept to the schematic's B10k pots all around after experimentation, but otherwise stayed true to the 1st layout here.   The second layout's mods may be worth trying though as the stock unit's gain control is limited.

For Q1 I tried both an smd J177 that I soldered to a piece of strip board, and a full sized J175.  The gate works, though it has a narrow sweet spot between too slow and too choppy.   Playing into an already distorted amp  masked some of that and got me a wonderfully saturated and staccato on/off tone.

 I hope other people experiment with the gate portion.

Re: G2D Morpheus

coarq
it would be very interesting to see the scheme of the modifications ...