Glass Blower buffer/booster

MrTondo
The valve wizard has some pretty nice designs up on his site, with pcb layouts for the DIY'er. One of them is a buffer/booster pedal, it is posted here. It is interesting as a circuit with some nice explanations. He even has a layout with a possible VU-meter! Really nice stuff. I prefer a vero of the one without it, but it looks like a nice and doable circuit. So that is my main request

On his site are some more nice circuits/pedals, a simple delay (PT2399 based) and a reverb, about which he states " I think this makes the Equinox II the simplest DIY reverb project on the net at the moment!" (It uses only 2 PT2399's. no bricks etc.), it may be too big for vero, but cool nonetheless. Maybe it is something to look at for one of the awesome vero-designers out here?
My heart can go where my head can't fit.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

Yes I'll add these

Great! Thanks! This'll go on my list :).
My heart can go where my head can't fit.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

That's so cool. That bootstrapping technique is neat and innovative.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

Merlin certainly knows his shit!

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

johnk
I know that IvIark can draw up a much smaller vero than I can (since he's great at that), but I drew up a Glass Blower vero today (it's 21 x 13) that will still fit in a 1590B and has no standing resistors.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

Post it mate, no point in reinventing the wheel
And I don't think I'd get it smaller anyway, some of yours have been much more compact that I could do

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

johnk
ok, ill post it soon. I just want go over it a few more times to make sure that it's correct.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

johnk
This post was updated on .
okay, I managed to get it a bit smaller at 18x14.
Keep in mind that it IS a buffered effect and only requires a SPDT footswitch (yet still includes a status LED)
I had to correct a few links but I built it today and tested it and it sounds great, so this slightly revised vero is verified:

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

Nice one, thanks John

You guys are awesome, thanks for the great layouts! I'll be trying the glassblower when my tayda shipment gets in...
My heart can go where my head can't fit.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

skeletonghost
This post was updated on .
Was going to build John's layout today but I just noticed R2 doesn't appear to be attached to anything? Having a quick look at the schem I think it should be shifted one row up to match pin 3 and R3?

*edit* looks like the layout was updated. That was fast!

Just referring to the schem here:

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

Jopn
I definitely agree, that R2 should be shifted up a row.
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

skeletonghost
I could be totally off on this one. But in the schem it appears the drain of Q3 is connected to the in- pin of OPAMP A not the source? Does this make a difference?

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

johnk
skeletonghost wrote
I could be totally off on this one. But in the schem it appears the drain of Q3 is connected to the in- pin of OPAMP A not the source? Does this make a difference?

no, look at his PCB layout:

the drain connects to pins 1 and 5.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

skeletonghost
Thanks John! Looks like this is good to go. I'll get a start on this and report back when it's done.

Re: Glass Blower buffer/booster

johnk
right on. I also updated and fixed the misplaced resistor on the layout above