Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

PStevenson

the Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion http://www.paulinthelab.com/2014/06/green-wizard-guitar-overdrive.html

www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Yes, very nice indeed Paul

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

boratto
thumbs up!

thanks guys !
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Massive sound - excellent work, Paul.   May have to build this one ... Soon  .

(I need to stop visiting this site until I get my backlog of projects done - I always see something new I just NEED to build ... )

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

PStevenson

well I hope people do! this got 60 views since I posted it last night (that's pretty good for my site) so I hope to see a lot of people making this/modifying it/building on it

also the Red LEDs were the first thing I had to hand for the clipping diodes but it's definitely worth experimenting there too
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

bart
Awesome sounding overdrive Paul! Congrats!

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Hey Paul - can one replace the LT1037 with a TL071 or similar single op amp?  I know it wouldn't be as special without the LT1037, but....  It seems pin compatible with other single op amps.  If so, I have all the parts to build it...

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

PStevenson

I designed it to use the LT1037 so I had to take into account various things like bias etc.
however it is pin compatible as you said and if you sub it with a TL081 it'll do something so definitely try it.

alternatively you can try and sign up for free samples at Linear Technology and get 2 of them for free
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Heath
After the Tube Screamer I just built, I put myself on personal restriction from building anymore Overdrives/Fuzzes, or Distortions... I have so many now... :(

...but I have to build this one.  Yep.

Paul, when you say you changed to germanium diodes.. which ones do you mean?  The 1 silicone, the LEDs, or all three of them?  Any particular recommendation?  I have some 1n270s I think.. 1n34s of course.. maybe a few stray others.

Thanks!

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Frank_NH
Nahhh Heath - you can never have too many overdrives/distortions...

However, I like to choose designs to build which are different and interesting, and Paul's is definitely that.

I'll build this with sockets for the ICs, but I'll likely hold out for the real chip if it makes a big difference in tone and response.

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

PStevenson
the silicon one is just a reverse polarity protection diode and won't do anything to the sound if you remove it (but don't those LT1037s are $6 ish!)

I changed the 2 LEDs to Ge diodes but unfortunately they seem to have no markings on them but I imagine if you try out the ones you have to hand - you'll get good results.
www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

piltdownman
How do you choose which LT1037 to get?  I'm looking on their site and there are no less than 14 variations, and I don't trust my limited electronics knowledge to make a wise choice.  Thanks

Update:  Thanks, I think I figured it out.  I had never heard of the PDIP designation before.  That narrows the choices considerably.
Keith

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

A quick update.  For those who wish to build this overdrive/distortion and can't find a LT1037, apparently the OPA228 is a direct replacement for the 1037 and can be found more readily (at least on eBay).  I'll be ordering one or two to try out.

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Surgeon
I just built this one. Thanks for a great design Paul! I quite like it!

I'm thinking of trying a few types of diodes and putting them on an on/off/on switch to get three options. Stock with the leds I really like the grain on that thing, reallly unique.

For the record, I used a linear pot for the tone, a log for the volume and the best results for gain were achieved with an anti-log one (even with linear it all the gain was in the last 10% of the rotation).

It's a worthwhile build fellas!

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Surgeon
Aaaand here's mine:

Switch is an on/off/on DPDT with 1N60 and Green Leds (had to... ;).

There's very little difference between no diodes and the green leds but oh well... The germs sound terrific but there's just something about the leds' grind that makes this pedal unique.

Great pedal, thanks Paul!

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

looks freaking awesome surgeon. if you don't mine me asking, how and where did you find those graphics? and where did you get the slim jacks? i've been looking for those at a good price for some 1590a builds i wanted to try out.

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

PStevenson
that's fucking fantastic dude!
I am no good with doing enclosures

as you can see - my enclosure skills are awful

www.paulinthelab.com - Stripboard Layouts

Re: Green Wizard Overdrive/distortion Stripboard

Heath
rocket88 wrote
where did you get the slim jacks? i've been looking for those at a good price for some 1590a builds i wanted to try out.
I got mine here

They also have them in 50, 100, and 200 pieces.  It'll take a few weeks to get to you, but the prices are stupid low.
12