Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

Mike B.
A friend asked me to build a fuzz that has a good bass response and can handle heavy detuned playing. Any favorites any of you might suggest?
Thanks!

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

What kind of sound are you going for, as in band reference? sleep? the sword? high on fire? aspen? baroness? kylesa? mastodon (not doom or stoner but heavy as hell)? etc.

here are the few i use for stoner/doom metal. i built the following:

1. Russian Green Muff I used the layout here but changed some of the values according to a different schematic with correct russian transistors and diodes
2. Oracle fuzz
3. Catalinbread SFT
4. Blackout Effectors Mantra OD
5. Blackarts Pharoh
6. Creepyfingers Doomidrive
7. Earthquaker Hoof
8. Blackout Effectors Musket
9. John Kallas Gamma Ray Bass OD
10. Throbak OD-Boos tModified
11. FuzzFace with high gain BC130C Si transistors, cap values changed for more bass, as well as a few other mods
12. Rodger Mayer Voodoo Bass

Each of these for slightly different amount of fuzz, and articulation of the signal. the Russian muff i built is massive sounding and one of the heaviest pedals i've built, both in volume and amount of low end fuzz. there are a few other BMP based pedals on my list like the musket, hoof, and pharoh. the pharoh is very creamy, the musket is super tweakable, and the hoof is sort of a more articulate russian muff that's based on dan auerbach's from the black keys. Some of the others like the voodoo can get kinda muffled and dark, but still very nice. the oracle is based on an early tonebender, i think mk 1.5. the doomidrive is based on a later tonebender. the sft is supposed to be based on the Ampeg SVT, so you can get some nice kyuss/QOSA/Fu Manchu sounds from it with the gain and bass way up and mantra is completely unique and uses MOSFET clipping and can get real nice. And the throbak can get real fuzzy with the boost on, and playing with the pregain, and due to the Ge diode and transistor its nice and creamy too. the gamma ray is made by john kallas, and is his own design and is a limited run. he will not give out his layout, so you would need to get it from him. its the first pedal i bought in like 5yrs and was worth every penny. get some nice od, and can get a real nice thick fuzz going.

i'm sure i'm missing a few others that i use, but those seem to be at the top of my list for now. i would probably say those are in order from best to least. I still plan on building a Earthbound Audio Supercollider, Okko Diablo, and D*A*M Ezekiel which are very low end oriented. Also, all of mine need to do double duty and work on guitar and bass, since i mostly play bass, so almost everything i have i try to mod for more low end if it doesn't have it from the start.

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

Vince
Meathead!!!!

That is my 'go-to' stoner/sludge/doom beast. Meathead 'dark' though. Input cap = 100nf and output cap =470nf. It's a monster!

The  earthbound audio 'Supercollider' is also an excellent modified big muff, great for doomy stoner sludgness..

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

Mike B.
Thanks for all the suggestions!  My friend loves the Sword and Mastodon, so you guys have given me some great ideas.  I appreciate the help.

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

I totally forgot about the meathead. I did do a modified one and they are fantastic for stoner/doom. I know JD from the sword used a ehx metalmuff for years, but it's the only muff that doesn't have a layout on here. I would definitely go with something that is nice and teakable to get a wide range of tones. With my pharaoh I can get great mastodon like tones, as well as the sword and everything in between. It doesn't get too much like a brutal giant wall of fuzz like the green muff. But I am totally partial to big muffs and their variants. I haven't met a muff I didn't like.

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

Dave
Megalith!

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

tjdracz
I would go with Superfuzz. It's what Fu Manchu uses so should do the trick!

Re: Heavy Stoner Rock Fuzz Suggestions?

Bob Balch uses a creepyfingers creepface, at least I know he used to. He has two videos up on YouTube where he goes through his entire pedalboard and explains how he uses each one. JD from the sword has a video too where he goes through his board, and eaten shows all of his settings.