Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Alex
This post was updated on .
Beavis Audio Synth.
Verified!

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

SonusFluxa
You're a true champion! I'm going to start this ASAP and report back.

Reporting in to say that this definitely makes spacey synth sounds, although when I turned it on for the first time the 4r7 resistor started to smoke, and the transistors got very hot. I'm about to leave for vacation for a few days, but when I get back I'll try a few things. I should also mention that for the 4r7, I ran two resistors in parallel since I didn't have one of the exact value, which might have been the issue. Whatever the case, it's still making awesome sounds presently, and I thank you again for the layout, Alex!

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

SonusFluxa
Replaced 4r7 and 47r with 4k7 and 47k as per this layout:

No smoke, all is working as intended, great droning synth sounds and a ton of fun to mess around with!

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Synsound
Good to hear. I love the synth boxes and will prob give it a go soon.
By the way, I highly recommend the Music From Outer Space Noise Toaster. I would advise just buying their PCB but it can get a lot of rhythmic sounds to lay over your drones.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Woah, just checked out the noise toaster. I need to build that thing

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

SonusFluxa
I've yet to order anything from MFOS but it keeps getting recommended to me, so it's going to happen, sooner or later. The Echo Rockit also sounds pretty great, from what I remember.

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Kinski
Whats the difference between the Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer and the Heterodyne Space Explorer?

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

SonusFluxa
The HSE is 4 oscillators coming from a 40106 IC, with switches for diode/resistor mixing.

The HPSE is 3 oscillators from a 40106, a 4th oscillator going through a (4040/4051) waveform generator, and a white noise generator. Only diode mixing. To the best of knowledge.

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Hozy31
Hi, could anyone indicate where the Input goes....Thanks.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Kinski
Hi, I don't think there would be an input. It's a synthesizer. It makes its own sounds. Does not take an input signal.

Although if you wanted to you could mod it with CV inputs (CV mod for WSG might work?).

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Hozy31
Thanks for the replies guys.
How does the output wiring work and do you use a 3PDT? Thanks, not built one before. Could you run guitar signal through it or is that a stupid question. I do use my guitar through my Moog and was wondering if you could do the same thing here.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Synsound
This is not set up to process an outside signal. Music From Outer Space has a DIY synthe called the Noise Toaster that will allow you to run an external source through the VCF. Its a fun project but will not compare to the filtering a Moog will give you.

Thanks Synsound. Would i wire the 3PDT the usual way but leave out the input jack and input wire? Will have a look at the Noise toaster.

Wiring would depend on how you are going to use this. If it's just gonna be a stand alone unit, a simple on/off switch from the power would be fine.

Thanks Kinski, I was starting to think along those lines.

Ok wired it up with a on off switch and it works a treat. Some really nice sounds from this. I'll test it through the Moog to see what it can add.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

Elgin Miller
Hello everyone,
 I have a question for anyone who's built this:

With the pins of the volume pots that go to output and ground, and the switch pins that go to 9 volts, did you daisy chain the pins together or did you run all the respective wires to a central point? Would it make a difference either way?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Heterodyne Peyote Space Explorer

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
no. it won't make any difference. you can solder all vol pins 1 to the ground rail on the board on the top, which has enough space, and the 9v on the 9v rail also.
if you don't mind the "mess", you can also do this on the bottom right of the board. it will keep things more steady in the box.

12