How to eliminate fuzz squeal?

Milkit
Hi dudes,

I realise this is maybe a touch rudimentary, but how do I eliminate the infamous 'fuzz squeal' please?  I know there's a post on here discussing this topic, but I can't for the life of me remember or find the effect it's mentioned in!

Is there a solution available that won't colour, or change the character of the effect too much?

Thanks guys!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!

Re: How to eliminate fuzz squeal?

otalgiafx
Depends on the circuit.

On a silicon fuzz face  a 80-220pf cap between the 2 collectors usually does the trick and has little effect on the sound.  Maybe cap to ground on power supply might help too?

Cheers duder, experimentation, commence!!

If it's a Fuzz Face circuit, a 100 ohm resistor between lug 2 of the Fuzz pot and the 22u cap will also help by reducing the maximum gain of the pot.

Re: How to eliminate fuzz squeal?

Milkit
Thanks for your help boys!  It's a muff circuit. I used a DPDT with mill bypass board & I could hear the squeal on bypass as well (albeit not as loud as effected signal). I tried strapping a 2.2k resistor (just the first value to hand) from the board input to ground & it's stopped squealing. Is that an acceptable solution, or am I likely to damage something else over time?

Thank you!  Top dudes!
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it!