Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Alex
This post was updated on .
Here is a smaller version of Human Gear Animato.
There's also a version with Tilt Control as suggested by John Kallas.
Used new schematic by Crowella.
Changed previous layouts pinouts, inverted polarity of 10uF cap from Q4 and changed Vol pot to linear.

- Added a cut under Q/5 and Sw2 writing

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Mark SL
Has anyone gotten the second layout to work? I have built it and it's no good. I'm looking for obvious faults now. If there is a schematic I can double check the layout.

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Alex
This post was updated on .
Hi Mark!
Just upadated to latest schematic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Lx-E88bAtET1ViT3J2UEFpYUk/view
The pinouts were incorrect.
C2240 are BCE.
I've changed it in the layouts.
If you use other transistors you need to invert Base and Collector legs.
Reverse polarity of 10uF from Q4 and changed Vol pot to linear.
Let me know if you notice anything wrong.
Thanks

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Mark SL
Still no good.

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Alex
This post was updated on .
I've just noticed a cut missing under Q5
(I must have deleted it together with the Sw2 writing while adding components values)
Fixed that in the layouts.
This is John Kallas layout I've used for the Tilt Control part:

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Zombie11
I'd like to verify the first layout! (without the tilt) Just built it and it works perfectly. I went with the original germanium transistors (bought 5 sets, they cost me a fortune)

The switch, like demos imply, seems to do absolutely nothing. Tone connections are the wrong way around. Otherwise perfect! It's a very trebly noise monster. I'll have to try it with normal transistors (87/88 combo)

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Daemons
Zombie11 wrote
I'd like to verify the first layout! (without the tilt) Just built it and it works perfectly. I went with the original germanium transistors (bought 5 sets, they cost me a fortune)

The switch, like demos imply, seems to do absolutely nothing. Tone connections are the wrong way around. Otherwise perfect! It's a very trebly noise monster. I'll have to try it with normal transistors (87/88 combo)
How do you find the 87/88 combo compared to the Ge?
Crowella says the Si trans sound brighter, and you have to really lower the trim vs the Ge trans. It's what I used, so I'm curious what the GE sound like.

Did you use NTEs? NTE102/103 or 102A/103A? The As are cheaper, and I just saw JonhK used that so it might be a good option for me to try.

Dae.

Re: Human Gear Animato (with & without Tilt Control)

Zanius
I found that layout while figuring out my second animato build (first was from the blog post) and decided to give a try to the one with the tilt control.

The layout is verified BUT the tilt circuit should be before the animato. Too much output from the fuzz seems to be making the tilt misbehave and gate hard in over_12_oclock fuzz gain.

The easiest fix was to reroute everything so tilt was first. The tilt effect is subtler of course but interesting enough and pretty easy to change the center freq by socketing the two 10n caps. Interesting thing to implement in a bass fuzz for sure.

That said, if I had the choice to put in a blend circuit or the tilt circuit, I'd go blend from now on, necessery for bass use imo! :)