Huminator for Daisy Chain?

squirrels
Would a single stock circuit Huminator be sufficient enough to help quiet down an entire eight plug daisy chain? I only really need it for my Crimson Drive which is in a 1590A so I can't really fit a Huminator daughter board in it.

Thanks.

Re: Huminator for Daisy Chain?

Synsound
From my understanding, you should only need one for each wall wart. It filters the supply from the source so whatever happens beyond that should be irrelevant.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Huminator for Daisy Chain?

induction
Synsound wrote
From my understanding, you should only need one for each wall wart. It filters the supply from the source so whatever happens beyond that should be irrelevant.
It's true that noise on the supply rail often comes from the power supply itself, but it can also come from other circuits attached to the daisy chain. It's best that each circuit has its own low-pass filtering on the supply rail so that the signal from one circuit doesn't feed into the supply voltage on another circuit and cause oscillation.

It's not really possible for any of us to say whether a single filter on the daisy chain will be enough for anyone's  particular pedal chain without knowing a lot of details about the specific builds of the circuits in question. The quickest solution is to try it on a breadboard and see if it works for you. Then be prepared to revisit your decision later when you play in different locations and at different volumes.

The huminator is a very simple approach that often works well, but it is often not a good enough solution for certain circuits that have voltage divider biasing into a gain stage, particularly when the circuit isn't amenable to low-noise biasing (eg. fuzz face, COT-50, etc.). For those cases, you really need either a regulated adapter or a battery.

Re: Huminator for Daisy Chain?

squirrels
Thanks for the advice. I did manage to cram a Huminator board into the 1590A Crimson Drive and it works great. Being so small it may be worth adding on to my builds from here on out.