In/Out jacks

GoranP

Alrite... I'm running out of my Tayda crap stash so I thought to try a few of the better kind.

Any suggestions for decent quality acceptable price jacks?

I remember Geiri writing something about it someplace but I'm looking to buy 20ish, not 500

Re: In/Out jacks

adstrum
I bought some on eBay. If I recall correctly, I bought them on Geiri's recommendation. I really like them. I bit fiddly to solder, but I'm never going back to open jacks after using these. They even have a third pin that allows you to wire in a battery snap without the need for a stereo jack. A bit irrelevant to me, since I don't add battery snaps in my builds. They look nice on a finished pedal too.

Re: In/Out jacks

GoranP
Cool!

How much more space do they take than the open ones?
For instance, this is my latest build, a snowwhite autowah. Could they fit in there (not that it's crammed at all)?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rKoQYx5eINY/UhUzcNV8GiI/AAAAAAAAA-Y/xn6oEdsdm7M/w579-h772-no/IMG_2802.JPG

Also, it seems that they protrude out of the box quite a bit? Or is it just the picture angle?

Re: In/Out jacks

adstrum
If you mount them opposite each other (pretty normal in most builds), they'll take up the full width of a 1590B. They do protrude from the enclosure quite a bit too, but the overall presentation is neater IMHO. I find them to be more reliable too.

Re: In/Out jacks

GoranP
Well, can't hurt to get a dozen and try them out. I just ordered a pack. If nothing else, if I ever get to building stuff in 1590A those will come in handy. Thanks for the tip!

I'd still like to have some recommendations for some open jacks (neutrik or such) to try, maybe some from musikding or banzai? Geiri?

Re: In/Out jacks

Vince
Not sure where you are Goran but these Neutriks are a good price. Especially if you buy 50 units at £1.07 for 2

http://uk.farnell.com/neutrik/nys229/socket-1-4-jack-panel-mono/dp/4632655

Re: In/Out jacks

adstrum
GBP1.22 each seems pretty expensive.

Re: In/Out jacks

dexxyy
That's for a pack of 2, buy 10 packs £1.12
Or buy 50 packs £1.07.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: In/Out jacks

Vince
Yep, so basically it's a 100 Neutrik jacks for about £50

Re: In/Out jacks

Geiri
http://pedalparts.co.uk - Check out these. I used to use them a lot and they're great quality!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: In/Out jacks

GoranP

The Poodle dood is out of stock
http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/14__Mono_Jack_Socket_-_High_Quality_635mm/p847124_6518417.aspx

Banzai has these
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Neutrik-jack-open-Mono.html

and these
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Switchcraft-SC-11.html

Would Switchcraft be worth double the price? I thought the Neutrik (Rean) are quite ok?

Re: In/Out jacks

Snare227
I've ordered the Neutrik jacks from Bitcheslovemyswitches.com and also from Mammothelectronics.com  Both end up in the neighborhood of $1 and a few cents a piece.  I've tried the Tayda jacks and they will do, but I figure a couple bucks on good jacks are worth it in the long run.

Re: In/Out jacks

GoranP

Thanks folks!

I guess I'll be going with Neutriks from Banzai this time around, pretty much the same price as BLMS but the shipping is less.

Re: In/Out jacks

mirosol
Administrator
I would recommend the Neutrik/Rean jacks from Banzai. Been using those for quite some time and those are good.
fyaelectronics.com

Re: In/Out jacks

alltrax74
Or you could get the rean from musiking
http://www.musikding.de/63mm-Mono-jack-Rean
S&H is pretty low and their service is way better than Banzaï's IMO

Re: In/Out jacks

Vince

Re: In/Out jacks

GoranP

Alltrax, that's interesting. Everything I ordered from Banzai has been spot on and quick to arrive, even when items are not in stock they ship what they have and the rest when it's in stock, free of charge. Musikding always took it's sweet time shipping the stuff so if they run out of something I end up waiting, sometimes for weeks (happened one time they were out of 9mm alpha pots, they had them in stock on the website which turned out to be false).

Re: In/Out jacks

alltrax74
Ah ah, I had exactly th opposite experience with both : shipping taking weeks with Banzai and immediate partial shipping with Musikding
Go figure...

Re: In/Out jacks

toddvirgil
I've been buying these from amazon Prime... they're about $1USD each, and they look exactly like the ones from pedalparts.co.uk ... probably are the same. Best of all I get them in two days :)

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Jacks-Female-Panel/dp/B003HLW14W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378510675&sr=8-1&keywords=mono+1%2F4%22+jack

UPDATE: oh, and I forgot to mention.. they're really pretty good quality. I'd say about 90% as good as the neutrik/switchcrafts I've had.

Re: In/Out jacks

Ross
I use the Neutrik NYS229 (mono) and 230 (stereo). I have not found a better quality jack at any price, and they're half to a third of the price of the Switchcraft stuff. Jacks are one thing I don't stock in bulk, as I would rather buy high quality ones when I need them.