Jumpers on The Veroboard

evansun
Hi, I'm new to building effects. I'm about to work on building a Hyperion Fuzz. I was looking at the Build Guide to prepare. I am confused about what the author calls "Jumpers". These look like metal wires running from one port to the next on the veroboard. On the diagram, they come up as blacklines running across.  Can I just use 24 AWG for this? Or do I need to get the exact metal wire they're using? And if so where do I find this wire? Thanks!

Also, what do you guys think of this clone? How does it compare to the real Hyperion Fuzz?

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

Marbles
Hey there!

Welcome! I built it too from this website and sounds the same.

You dont have to use the exact same wire. It doesn't really matter what wire you use, as long as it connects. You could use a piece of wire if you want or a resistor leg.

Everytime you solder a resistor to the board, you will cut off the resistorleg that's sticking out. They make great jumpers. They don't take up as much space as a wire, and you will drown in cut off resistor legs after a few builds.

Instead of throwin away those cut off legs, I save them. You can us ethem for jumpers. If you solder the 10k resistors, you should be having enough length left for the jumpers

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

Frank_NH
I use breadboard connection wires like these.  I like them because they're thick gauge, rigid wire and come in a variety of lengths (and are inexpensive).  I take the insulation off, but you can leave it on if you wish (for longer jumpers).

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

Synsound
To answer your question about the sound of the Hyperion clone-
I built the Hyperion 2 as my first pedal build and was pleased to find that it sounded just like the demos I had listened to of the original. I'd say it's a very safe bet that the V1 Hyperion will have the same results.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

motterpaul
You can always just buy a reel of non-stranded wire and strip to length. Most of us just save the best (longest, thickest) legs we clip off of components as we use them. Small capacitors usually have good legs, and some diodes.

You can use any thickness, really, when you think about how skinny many resistor legs are.

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

To add to the Hyperion question further, I have built the Hyperion, Hyperion 2, and had the real Devi Hyperion (first version).

The clones sounded exactly the same as the original.

I would recommend the Hyperion 2 because it gets the same exact sounds as the normal Hyperion, plus the added craziness from the starve control.

And lastly, in my opinion the Hyperion is an EXCELLENT, super good fuzz!

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

"You can use any thickness, really, when you think about how skinny many resistor legs are."

You could also use all of those zero ohm resistors that we seem to collect from the resistor assortments...

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

Search for tinned copper wire. A roll of the stuff is expensive, but you can easily get a few metres of 24 gauge for just a couple of pounds/euro/dollars. This will last for ages.

Use small diameter - 24 to 28 AWG is great, as double links are easy, without having to open the hole up, and it fits better under IC sockets. And it's cheaper too!

Re: Jumpers on The Veroboard

vid.sicious
I bought some copper wire for jumpers when I started off. Little did I kknow, the wire was far too thick so take that into consideration if you decide to go this route! Now I use the wire to modify solder pad pots into pc mount pots which works fine but the wire takes a loooad of time to heat up. For jumpers I simply use resistor legs, solid core wire or silicon wire which I decided not to use for anything else.
aka Dead Eye