Klon gain

AntKnee
My klon gain knob does not add gain. It actually decreases the volume slightly when it is turned all the way up. Otherwise, it has no effect on the sound. I have verified all the components, knifed my gaps, reflowed solder... Cant find a problem. I am about to try swapping the gain pot, but I kind of doubt thats the problem. Any suggestions?

Re: Klon gain

Which layout did you build?

Re: Klon gain

AntKnee
I built the full size layout, with the charge pump. I was probing around the layout last night. I don't get any distortion sound anywhere, not even off the IC's. It all sounds clean. I do get tons of volume, so I'm pretty sure the pump is working, but I haven't checked voltages yet.''

Also just saw you added a version with a bass control, which I was also struggling to come up with on my own. I'll probably revise my build to match your bass controlled layout, then resume troubleshooting the gain problem. Maybe it will fix itself in the process.

Re: Klon gain

AntKnee
Scratch that. It is a considerably different layout.

Re: Klon gain

When you've measured them post your voltages.  That will give us the best clue

Re: Klon gain

AntKnee
IC 1:
1  4.55
2  4.55
3  1.24
4  0.00
5  4.43
6  4.55
7  4.55
8  9.13

IC 2:
1  4.55
2  4.55
3  4.50
4  -8.43
5  4.50
6  4.55
7  4.56
8  16.13

IC 3:
1  9.13
2  3.89
3  0.00
4  -4.81
5  -8.44
6  4.52
7  3.82
8  9.13

Re: Klon gain

Well your voltages look ok to me so it may be just a bad connection on the gain pot or it could always be faulty of course.  But you don't look too far away based on your voltages

Re: Klon gain

AntKnee
Not sure what the problem was, exactly, but I reflowed the lugs on the gain pot and touched up all the cuts and now it works. I suspect the culprit was a nearly invisible single strand of wire on lug 2 on the gain pot that was making contact with the metal side of the pot.

Now on to the next one!

Re: Klon gain

Frank_NH
I've had recent experiences with "cold" solder joints.  Everything looked fine visually but when I checked continuity for a jumper there was apparently a high enough resistance to cause a problem.  Reflowed the solder and all was well.  Now, my multimeter is my best friend when I'm in the middle of a build...

Re: Klon gain

motterpaul
Sorry, I am a newbie and just found this amazing site - but it happens that I just built a similar Klone and although the kit designer had told me the double-ganged pot connections could go "either way" top or bottom, I noticed that when I rewired them it made a big difference in the sound. It's an easy thing to check, just reverse top for bottom. Also make sure you didn't accidentally reverse the lug numbers, 1 for 3.

That was the key for me when I had a similar - that is the only reason I am speaking up.

Re: Klon gain

I think he probably meant that you could use either gang, which wouldn't matter, rather than any lug order.  Reversing the lug order will always affect which way the control works.