Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

zosotone
Nice sounding boost!

The '73 Boost is a treble and mid range booster derived from the preamp of a late 60's Marshall Super Lead and a small preamp modification that was reportedly made to Jimmy Page's main Marshall around mid to late 1972. The mod was a simple capacitor change in a filter network, it simply boosted the upper mid range and treble frequencies further. While the pedal is obviously Zep themed, you can cover many other tones with it. The pedal is more complex and dynamic sounding than a typical treble booster design and responds very well to your guitar's volume and tone controls.

The schematic from FSB:

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

Silver Blues
Bam.

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

zosotone
Thank you very much Silver Blues!
Boost 2 to output and volume 1 to ground, true?

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

Indeed. Let me know if it works!

EDIT actually I'm silly and you can shave a column off the board. Make it a 14x11 instead and get rid of the unused holes. Sorry, lol.

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

zosotone
Don't worry, nice layout! I've posted in FSB with your permission  I'll check in the next days...

Any mod for this model? Maybe a gain pot?

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

Silver Blues
Yeah go right ahead.
Gain pot, huh... well I'm not sure where the best place to put it would be. You could take R4 and replace it with a pot (Maybe 5 or 10K) and take the source end of C3 (you may want to up that cap to 10uF or so if you want a little more hair) and connect it to R4-2. That'd be my suggestion, perhaps there's a different way.

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

Kinski
Cool! Thanks for the layout!

Are there any benefits to having an external BIAS with this boost?

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost

zosotone
Verified!

Re: Lumpy's Tone Shop '73 Boost