MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
Hello, first post!

I designed this OD pedal some time ago and i like it so much that i would like to share it. I think the "magic" is in the clipping diodes. Give it a try and tell me what you think (improvements and tips are welcome).
I think it works best with an amp that is a little bit dirty. May not sound as good into a higher gain amp but i have not tried it yet with a high gain amp.

I based it on the most simple circuit i could find, IIRC the Electra Distortion, and just modified it to my likings.

I am not a total noob but nowhere near a pro. :)

Regards.

//MacAttack

Re: MacDriver overdrive

zoof
Thanks!

MacDriver.pdf

Made a layout for the etchers (if there are any?!)
Need practice on DIYLC :)
PFD for print.

If you don't like it I'll remove it.

Re: MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
Wow really cool, thanks alot! Though i have no idea how to etch.
I see you've added a diode and Fltr, what are those for? What is Fltr?

Cheers!

Re: MacDriver overdrive

zoof
Its just a power filtering cap (10 to 100uf) and a polarity protection diode. They are probably not needed but there was room, and they won't hurt either :)

Re: MacDriver overdrive

GrooveChampion
Can someone correct me on this, but is this what the Bazz Fuss based on? No? Where is the difference? Besides the extra pair of diodes.

Re: MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
Cool, thanks! Do you know if polarity protection is needed even though there is no polarized caps? :)

Re: MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
It might be based on the Electra distortion, changing the 2.2M resistor to a diode and no clipping diodes at the output.
I have actually built one myself with an MPSA13 and a few minor changes.

Re: MacDriver overdrive

zoof
Haha, no, I don't know. That transistor will probably survive just fine anyway!

Re: MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
All right, thanks!

Re: MacDriver overdrive

MacAttack
Btw, this pedal sounds great through a Hotone Mojo Diamond, with the gain at 10-12 o'clock, really nice warm tuby sound. :)