Madbean Dirtbaby

MAO

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

MAO
In case anybody else experiences excessive noise with the Dirtbaby on the 1st repeat, particularly when holding notes and allowing them to ring out,  I found doing the recommended cap changes  "2n2 for C9 and C10 and/or 4n7 for C8" didn't reduce the noise all that much. However increasing C13 to 33n made a huge difference in both of my Dirtbaby builds.

I eventually used 47n for C13, which saved both builds.

Not ever having heard an original DMM in person, I don't know if these cap changes take away from the original intent on copping the DMM sound, but they did greatly reduce the noise!

If I build another, I'm going to start with upping C13 1st and see if I can leave C8, C9 and C10 at their stock values.

Also, I had PT2399s from 3 sources, Tayda, Mklec, and Nooelec, all sounded just about the same.

I combined the Dirtbaby with the CE2 Chorus from the main site in a dual effect for PACO G., they sound really good together. Powered with 15V using a vero version of the road rage.

Guts before completing all the cap changes, things fit comfortably in a 1790NS. I moved some components around and used a trimmer for the volume control, but the Dirtbaby layout was based off albru80's layout.

Thanks again albru80!

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

I built this and it works! Your layout is awesome alex80. Love how the pot wires are all together and in order for each pot.

 photo C0F18077-76CA-49C9-8E6D-86F96CE2E6DA_zps4jnvf17b.jpg
MAO

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

MAO
Curious, how is the noise level on the 1st repeat when you let the note ring out?
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Hey dude sorry I missed this question

Mine does add a little bit of noise but barely any

The only problem that I have is that my repeats have kindof low headroom. If I really hit a chord hard I get a nasty distortion on the repeats which is more apparent at longer delay times.

Speaking of which, the max delay time on this is definitely too long for a pt2399.. The delay pot may be more usable if you use a 25K

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Ok I solved the low headroom problem by using an 18V charge pump. The pedal is now perfectly usable for me, and sounds really sweet. I'm going to try eliminating any noise that is left on the repeats and this should be perfect.

Edit: I gradually increased c13 until the noise was gone. I ended up with a 47n in parallel with the 4n7, and I have no more noise. It's worth noting that I didn't have any 2n7 so I subbed 2n2 for all of those

My build sounds amazing now. Probably the best delay I've built

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
Travis wrote
My build sounds amazing now. Probably the best delay I've built

+1 mate! by far the best pt2399 delay ever!
i've build this one too and it's fantastic!
i drew a new layout that uses a tl064 in place of the two of the tl062s so the board came out really small.

here it is

A! and MAO for this thought of yours: "If I build another, I'm going to start with upping C13 1st and see if I can leave C8, C9 and C10 at their stock values. " i 've tried this and it's too noise. i would definitely do all the changes.

cheers!

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Thanks for your info and layout Savvas. Great work!

I guess I got lucky running out of 2n7 then. I used all 2n2 instead and didn't really feel like soldering in 500pf in parallel

This is a total winner. Thanks again for the info and layouts guys!

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

nice. can't wait to build this. i forgot i've been sitting on a bunch of 2.2uF non-polar electrolyics, and forgot what i was going to use them for.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Muadzin
I might give this one a try. It would seem my Dirtbaby has been 'appropriated' by my bass player.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

strassercaster
mammoth electronics has them cheap in a bunch of sizes. you can like tayda and mammoth on facebook and watch for monthly discounts as well. i heard this on you tube I ordered the board from madbean 11 days ago still havent recieved it . man im bummed i ordered it right before i saw this. I checked the tracking number 4 days ago and it still hadnt even shipped. the last two times i used madbean it was here in 4 days. 2 weeks sucks especially sonce i actually had a weekend off for the first time this year.i cant wait to build mine.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Kinski
Are there any downsides to using a tl064 in place of the two of the tl062s?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

kirshman
This post was updated on .
So I built this will all the mods, but the c8 change, and it was still pretty noisy.  changing c8 to the 4.7n was a big deal in my build.  I still feel pretty new to all of this so it took me awhile to figure out which one was c8, but for all the other beginners, it's the 2.7n cap in column 21 rows n & o.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi there kinski

weeks ago i wanted to make a comment on your question, but i forgot it.i'll make it now in case that someone else wants to build this effect, and has the same question..

i don't know if there will be downsides in using a tl064, but i think that this will make it sound a bit different.
and here is why i have this thought.
2 months ago i've build the big muff ic, the one with the 2 tl072.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.gr/2013/12/ehx-ic-big-muff-v5-78.html
i already had the one that uses just 1 tl074
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.gr/2012/01/ehx-ic-big-muff.html
by compering those two, they are a bit different,but they are both great sounding effects...i love them both...
so...i can't tell that if you'll use 64 or 62 will be worse or better..i just believe it will sound different,but always in a good way...

but after all, all these could be true just for the bmp ic....
i think that i just wanted to share my tl074-72 experience! i'll upload a demo of those 2 muffs for people to tell
cheers

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Kinski
Thanks!

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 9:14 AM, ξεναγος νεκροπολης [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Madbean-Dirtbaby-tp15783p25743.html
To unsubscribe from Madbean Dirtbaby, click here.
NAML

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

pakkee66
thanks for the layout again.. btw, please check it C13 ''from PT pin12>10k>15n to gnd'' seems missing on the layout, or I'm wrong?

edit: at the end up I did some change...
1/ added 47n cap[15n original] at column-14 bottom row and gnd[u15], no significant differences with or without anyway..
2/ a horrifying oscillation when I used 10k feedback pot[oscillation in 9 o'clock] , swap to 50k in acceptable range [around 3 o'clock start oscillation],
3/ follow in comment, delay pot down to 20k, and swap C8 to 4n7 for noise suppress,[greatly success!]
4/ decrease the mix depth [R37 up to 470k] and decrease the mix rate by increase R35 to 68k, this mod according to the madbean pdf, since the effect of chorus n vibe shown in low to mid pot setting.
5/ I use two 1u back to back instead of 2u2 bi-polar.
6/ box it up, deadly quiet [no noise], I got my satisfied modulation delay now~

Greatly thanks for the layout and those modify suggest, you guys are hero!

some shot sharing here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UarNQVmjRZpkoYDu7

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Bobby Zincone
Hey!

Thanks for the layout, it's great! I'm currently building this, I'll probably finish it tomorrow; fingers crossed it will be working properly.

I'm fairly new to diy electronics, sorry if I'm asking something obvious: what's the purpose of the 50k trimpot? Should it be calibrated in a specific way? Unfortunately, the link pointing to the Madbean project is dead.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Bobby Zincone
I managed to put this together according to the layout in the original post. The delay itself is very quiet (and noisy) - do you have any tips what could be the problem? I checked the board and everything seems to be in place. Could it be one of the TL062s?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
I just finished building this delay
wow ! I'm very impressed, what a great sounding delay !
I did all the caps mods suggested and the circuit is totally silent, absolutely noise free.
Also, I put a 25k pot for the delay as suggested, but max delay time was way too short. I relaced it with a 100k pot (I don't have spare 50k), and I must say that I like it very much like that. Max time is over 1s and it's totally usable, I'll keep that 100k pot.

Once again Alex, thank you so much for such a great layout !

@Bobby : it's hard to tell, there could be many other reasons. Did you solve the problem since your last message ?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

I’m reminded of the scene from my cousin Vinny with the 5 minute grits. Did you buy your PT2399 from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans??

How do you get “totally usable” repeats with a 100K delay pot on a single PT2399 when the rest of the PT2399 loving world reserves that mod for “lofi” or “broken” sounds?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Heath
My Cousin Vinny reference... You are a winner today, sir. Stand proud.

Heath Houston
------------------------------
Writer, Poet, Musician, occasional enfant terrible
------------------------------
http://heathhouston.net/
https://medium.com/@Heath
https://soundcloud.com/heathhouston
https://twitter.com/heath_houston
https://www.instagram.com/heathhouston/
https://heathhouston.tumblr.com

On 9/19/2020 3:42 PM, Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
> I’m reminded of the scene from my cousin Vinny with the 5 minute
> grits. Did you buy your PT2399 from the same guy who sold Jack his
> beanstalk beans??
123