Madbean Dirtbaby

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Sorry I had to win the day with a post of negativity..

But it’s great to see you brotha

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
https://youtu.be/V-pd0_v8vvo

That sounds totally usable for me, but hey, aren't we all different ?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Sounds like you’re playing softly and masking the long repeats with the dry signal. From what you can hear of the long repeats there does seem to be added noise and potentially severe distortion but it’s not a great sound clip to evaluate that.

It is much better than I was expecting in that clip. I suspect I would quickly find unusable sounds if I were playing it myself

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
Blend pot was at about 11 o clock
There is some light shhhh on the long repeats but really not that much
i could also find totally unusable sounds, just like with other weird settings, but what matters is to have usable ones which for me (and my playing) is the case. I think it was worth noticing on this thread

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

My point is that you claimed “totally usable” delay sounds with the max delay times with a 100K pot. If it were totally usable you wouldn’t have to hide the noise and distortion.

So when you make that suggestion to us with the pretense that you know what you’re talking about it is misleading for the rest of the builders here.

I’m not upset or taking it personally, I want to mitigate misinformation here

I would have said something like “I increased the delay pot to 100K and there is a major increase in noise and distortion at max delay time but it doesn’t bother me”

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
Yeah we can definitely hear that major increase in noise and distortion in my clip where i didn't hide anything, just a kind of playing and pedal settings that suit these long repeats.
You're just playing with words to make your point.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

In your clip the mix is set below unity. Then you sustain the dry notes to mask the repeats only when you increase the delay time. This is all with probably a lighter than usual pick attack and quiet amp settings. Even still the “light shhh” is audible.

To call it a major increase in noise and distortion is very accurate and anybody who is experienced with increasing the delay time of a single PT2399 would agree.

When designing a delay with a PT2399 we are all faced with the same constraints.. Most of us are hoping to create professional quality gear, or at least gear that sounds professional quality. You have proven to me at least twice now that your opinion should not be trusted

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
I'm honored, thank you

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Bobby Zincone
Unfortunately no, I rather went on to building another delay.

I probably messed up something here because when I power it with a 9V wall adapter, it oscillates really bad, shrieking on the top of its lungs. I'll check again when I'll have the time.

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
It's worth the effort, check all the usual supects : component misplacement/wrong value, solder bridges (they can be very tiny, best way is to knife the slots between the copper traces), bad trace cut...

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

Bobby Zincone
Will do! Yes, the knife and the box cutter have been my greatest troubleshooting tools so far. I'll replace the ICs for a test, a few weeks ago I had an issue with a faulty op amp.

Also, what I'm really curious about because I'm not sure i got these right:
- What kind of LED should I use for D1? Is a diffused LED something specific or could I use a "generic" LED?
- Does the 50K trimpot affect anything besides the fine tuning of the blend?

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

alltrax74
From the Dirtbaby doc, the trimmer sets the delay output before the blend knob.
Note sure about the LED, I used a diffused yellow and it works fine

Re: Madbean Dirtbaby

zoof
Hi, built this on vero a couple of years ago, really like it.

Anyone here that made a pcb layout and would like to share? Not shure if madbean had this on etchers paradise or store only before?! Either way I can't find a PCB layout..
123