Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

chance
This post was updated on .
UPDATED 14/02/2020Layout based on Madbean's Total Recall, please refer to his build documents as there are a few important notes regarding this effect i.e. 24v positive ground especially. I would normally build something like this myself first to verify it but i don't have the time right now. If you build it take your time, there is a high chance of making a simple mistake that would render the effect unuseable and attract a lot of debugging time. I have gone over the layout with a fine-toothed comb and am pretty confident it is fine. I did my best to make this as compact and user-friendly as I possibly could. There is no way it would ever have fit in a 1590BB but it will fit a 1790S or similar which is fine with me. Harold Sabro's A/DA Flanger layout just about the same size as this. Take care with this!
31/05/3018 UPDATE: Please use new layout dated A-31/05/2018 as I have added section for effect LED and expansion board 4 using 4 x MN3008's instead of 2 MN3005s as per the layout. The solder pads are indicated and if you use the expansion board then remove the teal coloured link. I also misunderstood the effect outputs. You can switch between a modified or unmodified signal. DIRECT OUT on the DMM is just the INPUT signal if you need to add it to your build.
Also added overload led circuitry as per EHX DMM schematic. I'll work on the expansion board soon.
08/06/2018 UPDATE: Added the expansion board as mentioned above. Please refer to Madbean's TRXPN or Total Recall Expansion Board build guide for more info. Remember to remove the coloured link as indicated if you install this.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

Fucking hell

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

amsterdam
Absolute unit.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

Sensei Tim
Sweet Jesus!

Well done, sir!

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

balazs.bencs
holy shit, this one scared me

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

archaos
Hi there,

I've already built several DMMs (Total Recall, op-electroncis Deluxe Delay), but I was wondering if there was not a mistake on the layout. Actually am I right to affirm that pad G39 doesn't have to be cut ?

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

chance
Yep, there is an error. It looks as though the cut at G39 should be moved to the right until it becomes G47. I  will update the layout and post asap. Considering the size of the layout, I should've expected a mistake or 2.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

archaos
Thanks for your answer !

I plan to build that project one day or the other. The 3005, 570 or 4047 chips and all the other parts including the 1590XX are already waiting in their boxes. I plan as well to seriously compare the layout to the schematic at least for the peace of mind. ;-)

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

chance
Mate, I have just updated the layout above. Thanks for spotting the error before anyone got too far into a build. I checked it many times over before I posted it however... I may even run back over it just for peace  of mind, it's such a large layout, I must have been possessed at the time. Yeah I will build it this year, just need to get the power supply. Let me know if there are any more issues

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

archaos
Great ! It's very cool that you've updated the layout. Anyway, I think I will compare each section of the circuit to your layout little by little. Because I don't want to get mad before it works.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

chance
Good plan mate!

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
Hi, Chance.
Thank you for posting total recall layout.
I've just finished checking your layout. It seems to me the layout has no error. So I decided to start building!
I will post my progress sometime soon.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

chance
Good luck sir!

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
My ongoing process...

I used 7805 and Murata DC/DC converter as power section in order to convert standard 9VDC to -15V.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
I'm trying to solve noise problem now. But, other than the noise, pedal behavior is without a problem.
All controls work as it should.
So I can say this layout with two 3005 is verified!

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

archaos
Excellent ! What kind of noise problem(s) do you encounter ?

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
I added true bypass or buffered bypass (using 1A dry out of the layout) select toggle switch.
When buffered bypass mode it's perfect! Very silent.
When true bypass mode high-pitch modulated clock signal occurs. (I'm Japanese and I can't explain the detail in English...)
4047 and two 3005s and 3pdt footswitch are very close in my case layoput. I suspect it's the cause.
What I'm thinking now is to turn up and down the circuit board.
I already use shielded cables around footswitch and in/out jacks.

Thank you.

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

archaos
Sorry for the late reply.

Could you explain what you did exactly with the 7805 and the Murata DC/DC converter so as to get -15VDC ? I wouldn't be astonished if the converter was the culprit.
Did you wire your 3PDT true bypass switch with both input & output grounded (see attached) ? hWQo3CL.png
Which MN3005s did you use ? Panasonic/Matsushitas, Xvives ?
How did you manage to insulate the copper side of the board from the chassis of the pedal ?

Just let us know. ;-)

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
Hi Archaos, thank you for advise!

After some struggling, for now, I ended up to use a relay to take a clearance between bbd ICs and in/out.
It almost solved clock noise problem. But I think this is not smart way...
I use a shielded cable as delay pot wiring also.

What I did with dcdc convereter was taken from RJM mini mixer power section that I once traced.
This is RJM mini mixer. 9VDC to +-15VDC.

I surprised how few parts they use when I found it.

And this is what I added to total recall. Almost Identical to RJM.

I already did this mod to real deluxe memory man and TC SCF to use with 9VDC. They work without a problem.

Input & output grounded wiring! I didn't know this. Thanks for valuable information. It seems to be worth trying!

I use xvive mn3005s.

Insulating is...
Just putting a plastic sheet under the board

Re: Madbean - Total Recall: EHX Deluxe Memory Man

dirtybogner
I've been away from home now so i don't have real DMM here.
I will compare the two when I get home.
12