Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Sergio
Yeah! In fact I prefer the easy pcb way! Fingers crossed! Sure youll have it singing soon

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

strassercaster
I  would like to buy one as well

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted.

In the mean time here's a current progress update

Boxing up is a bit of a squeeze

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

I had to file the corners a tiny bit so that they clear the enclosure screw holes .  I've board mounted the pots on one side and made the holes a little bigger than normal just to give it some play. I'll wire in the rest

There is room top and bottom, just not side to side

Snug for sure

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

That is looking badass!! If you move the boards down 1/4" or so would that allow them to clear the corners?

I'm eagerly awaiting your report on the sound. What LDRs are you planning on using? FWIW I used the Tayda LDRs in my Phasor II and when I play it side by side against my original they sound almost identical. Cheap too!

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

A sound report may be a while away

I'm still undecided about the LDR's

The french chap used these http://www.gotronic.fr/art-photoresistance-ldr04-2150.htm

Which i've found in the UK but the spec seems a little different

http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=15002&langId=69&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=SC13485&storeId=10180

I'm no expert on LDR's so i might socket them and try some different ones.

From what i can make out the phasers use red LEDs and the optocouplers use green (2V forward voltage), i assume that means diffuse green..

I still need to get my hands on a 9v AC supply as well

As for the boards in the box i made allowances for the central screw pillars but it seems that the corner ones are a little tighter, also the box is narrower at the bottom than the top.  It'll fit fine but i'd suggest some careful measuring.

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

More boxing progress, I hate this part of the process. I wish I had a tenth the skills of John K.

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Sergio
Really impressive! I think this can take some ruler and double patience dose

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

The end is nigh (at least until I find out if it works or not)

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

bro, can't wait to hear it's working, thinking positively over here. it looks great so far. also, my boards just came today. i can't open the box cause if i do i know i'm going to want to start building and i don't have an enclosure design or a massive amount of time left on my spring break and i've got 2 builds that have been waiting to get done for way too long, one being a colorsound phasex that's going in an original phasex wah shell i grabbed like 2 years ago.

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

rocket88 wrote
bro, can't wait to hear it's working, thinking positively over here. it looks great so far. also, my boards just came today. i can't open the box cause if i do i know i'm going to want to start building and i don't have an enclosure design or a massive amount of time left on my spring break and i've got 2 builds that have been waiting to get done for way too long, one being a colorsound phasex that's going in an original phasex wah shell i grabbed like 2 years ago.
Hurry up and unpack it.  mine doesn't work and i'm already confused by the AC power, voltage multiplier and what i'm measuring...?????

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes

It lives!!!!!!!! It fricking lives!!!!!!!

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Holy shit!! What was wrong? How does it sound?

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes
Travis wrote
Holy shit!! What was wrong? How does it sound?
Pass, reflowed the power components and rewired the power jack and it seems to be OK. Need to wire the control board back in before a sound check

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

am i the only one that sees a wall of capacitors around the LEDs and LDRs and think it looks like Stonehenge?

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

Emil
No, that does look very occult indeed! .

BTW, this thread is so cool. Been watching with excitement since the start . I'd love to build one of these one day.

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes
So nearly there, it phased briefly whilst i was tinkering with the trimmers, think i need to get some dark shields made

Re: Mu-Tron Bi-Phase

PMowdes
Nearly there, just some calibration to do and light shields to build.  I'm having second thoughts about putting it in a Hammond enclosure, I'm tempted to build a custom box for it.

Here's a sound clip.

12345