Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Warwick
Hello , is anyone have the kindness to draw me this layout.
Sorry but I'm too bad...

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

doomkraft89
Here you go!
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Warwick

Thank you very much.

I can build it

I'll keep you informed

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Warwick
Verified!
I make the preamp . Everything is perfect!
Thank you very much Mr doomkraft89!

Any idee how to move the thread to the verified part of forum?
Stoned to the bone, Swedens legacy.

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

yea one of the admins has to do it. i didn't see that it's been verified yet, but i've taken care of it.

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Sensei Tim
Just a sanity check - if I add a resestor between pins 1 and 2 am I going to get greater than unity gain?    Ic1a is aching as a unity gain buffer in this schematic, right?

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Sensei Tim
or would it be better between pins 6 and 7?

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
I don't know if you tried it yet, but I can't get any boost working on my emulator software.

Did you built it?
I find very weird the 8.2nF input cap. Really small! With it I got a cut the peak of the bass around 88Hz, the E bass string of a guitar. Is this a guitar version preamp?
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Sensei Tim
i've built several of these with no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdXSWqutyA4

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
Is it the same schematic?
I can see some different caps, I think.
And what about the more volume mod??
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Sensei Tim
i used the same schematic.  some caps might be slightly different because exact values weren't available.

I haven't tried the more volume mod so i can't say.

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
I think I can get the right values.
That PCB seems a bit different, but I think it's just those two 1uF film box cap (I don't know why one white and one grey!). In the schematic and the layout show two electrolytic cap, but I guess film box are ok (or even better?)
So that PCB should be with the schematic. Maybe the pedal have boost volume.

I built an Active Baxandall veroboard layout, and tried to add a mini daughter board with the mid control. It has the same configuration of the 3-band equalizer, bass and treble control works perfectly, while the mid control it's completely useless. I noticed just a muddier sound in the two extreme settings of the mid control.
I afraid to get the same thing with this schematic. It's bit weird.
Do you find the controls work fine as in the demo you linked?
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

Sensei Tim
Yes. that's my video with that PCB.

I used box caps because i don't like electros for 1 uF - and 2 different colours because that's what i had in my parts drawer.  just from two different manufacturers.

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
Yes, maybe I don't like 1uF electros since a while.
With my emulation software the eq in this schematic appear less drastic than the Baxandall, I mean it has less boost/cut in Bass and Mid. Treble has more range.
I don't understand why the mid control Baxandall doesn't work well, is the second time I try. Maybe I'll try the Tone Tweq, it's kind the same thing, but someone says it's good.
I hope this Bass Preamp work fine.
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

j-pee
EDITED: January 2020

+1 verified by me
the fact is: mine actually DOES NOT WORK, BUT THIS IS NOT because of the layout!
the point is, my comments in this thread are completely irrelevant :(
I so apologize (!!!), to you especially, fx-bidden (!!!!)

the good news is, from Sensei Tim,
that the schematic works
and I believe the layout works too, I was checking it today for ours :) it seems to be just perfect...
AND the parts list is cool
according to this thread at talkbass.com:
DIY Stingray 3EQ Preamp / page #3
check that thread,
BTW, Dominic DeCosa even uploaded sound samples! on page #2
"see": DIY Stingray 3EQ Preamp page #2 (sound samples) _

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
Wow jeepe! You seem really happy!
You said "although" and "but", and anyway you recommend this bass preamp.

I like the Baxandall eq, great Bass and Treble control, but the Mid control don't work well in my experiment, or do almost nothing.
This preamp has a Baxandall with mid control.
I want to ask you: do you find this preamp works fins as in the video posted above? I like it enough, in the video. It's not super and strongly effective, but that's pretty good!
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

j-pee
This post was updated on .
EDITED on 22. January. 2020:

"yes, I am very happy!!! :)"    << this is what I wrote on August 03, 2019... (I've cut now the long text short)

I was as stupid as ever possible, cause instead of troubleshooting, I was enjoying "being happy" cause it "worked", and complaining because it didn't quite work as expected -- SORRY :) )

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

fx-fidden
Thanks.
I'm agree with you, of course in the commercial video the instruments sounds often awesome.
What I meant was I would like that this preamp have a versatile eq, and the controls do effectively something, especially the mid. (I don't exepct that bass and treble work bad.)
I build pedals

Re: Music Man Stingray 3eq preamp

j-pee
This post was updated on .
:) PS:

okay, I was very happy, cause something worked... and since this was my first circuit, I was super happy...
and this happiness spread over my audio experience of it..
in short: EUPHORIA happens :)

now, looking back, also having tested it yesterday...
I would say, the tone shaping qualities of it are next to nothing...

EDIT (Sept 18. 2019):
for sure, something is wrong...
so, my opinion/experience doesn't count
12