New Toy

So the misses had been yelling at me for awhile that the Mesa is too damn loud to be used all the time when I fiddle around, or test pedals since I build at night and sometimes test late, and I need a small amp for a local guitar show for demos, so I finally broke down and bought a little amp.

It's one of those ampeg micro vr amps. Modeled after the old school svt, it's a MOSFET driven 200watt class d amp, with matching 2x10 cab. Seriously has some power for only 200watt, and I A-Bed it with the tube SVT and its damn near identical. It's not a perfect match, but it's as close as you can get in an easily transportable package, can get the right tones at low volumes, and looks the part. on top of all that I got it for a steal.

Re: New Toy

Silver Blues
Yay! I have one of these too. it's a fantastic-sounding amp, especially for the size. Really great to just plug some headphones into and jam silently as well. Mine was a steal also, picked it up brand new for just under half of retail price. You will enjoy that. Takes guitars pretty well too, in case you were wondering.

Re: New Toy

traktop
What a beauty...

Re: New Toy

traktop
What a beauty...

Re: New Toy

Sensei Tim
nice!

i haven't had GAS for quite some time but this might change things ;)

Re: New Toy

iggy
Sweet amp dude. Congrats. And thanks for sparking up my bad case of GAS too.

Re: New Toy

Well sorry for giving everyone GAS for something new.

Got to say this is one of the first ampegs I've actually liked. Seriously shocked at how tube-like it sounds and loud and clean is stays for a loley 200watts. I was messing around with it yesterday with my gear after I took the pic and wrote the post, and I can tell you from the Mesa to this settings have to be changed. This thing has a big amount of punch, which is really mids, so a lot of fuzzes sounded thin with the amp settings I liked and pedal settings the same as on the Mesa. I believe it's the matching cab, since it's not ported and is 1/4 of the svt 8x10. With some pedal fiddling everything works out great. Going to run it into the monster Mesa cab and see what I get. I do plan on getting another matching cab so I can stack it, if I can get a good price.

Silver, I thought you had a cube for some reason.

Re: New Toy

Silver Blues
I was talking to someone about some of the smaller Ampegs (like the BA-108) which is maybe why you thought so. (To be fair the BA-108 and BA-110 are nice amps in their own right). The uVR has a lot of balls for such a small amp, and I think you'll like the second cab.