New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

leegold
Hi,

Awesome web site.

New to building effects - couple of questions. I'm initially looking at Lovetone Cheese.

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/12/lovetone-big-cheese.html

I see the vero layout. There must be an accompanying schematic and info but can't find it. Is there one or a link?

I see two adjustment pots on the layout. Seems like one on top and one on underside of board. Are these for biasing transistors?

Regarding transistor biasing, I'm trying to do necessary reading on how. Are there any recommended links or forum discussions on how to do it?

Thanks.

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

GrooveChampion
You are reading the vero wrong dude. Trust me I made the same mistake when I started. The layout in the left is the component placement. The one on the right is facing the same way as on the left, but it is for marking where you should cut the copper striped side when flipped and where to place the bridges(the black lines, the red squares are where you cut the copper strips). There's only one trimmer pot and I dont think its for biasing any of the transistors, I think its a gain trimmer like on the Analogman Sunface or the Friedman BE-OD.

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

nostradoomus
There’s only one trimmer and it adjusts how quickly the fuzz gates. So while it is adjusting Q3 it’s not biasing in the traditional sense that bias is described in, more of a starve thing.

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

Most of the time we do not have the right to repost schematics because the “artwork” itself is proprietary. It would take a lot of time to redraw every schematic so they are only included when permission has been granted.

This site has also been around for a long time and many of the older posts do not include links to schematics. The newer posts often include links in the description

I have built the Lovetone Big Cheese and I adjusted the trimmer using my ear to find the setting that works best.

This is often the case, but it varies from build to build. There is really no standard bias procedure because different circuits are different

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

Mulekicker
Coincidentally, I'm currently building a big cheese (I've built like 50 fuzzes and I'm just now getting around to this one, what's wrong with me?). Anyway, if you have any other questions during your build, just ask.

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

Mulekicker
So, I used 3 bc549c's with hfe's around 530. Sounds just like the original (though I haven't played one for about 10 years.) Like said above, the trimmer adjusts how much gating you get on the cheese setting. I have mine wide open (or is it closed?) so it only really gates when the fuzz is cranked. Up to you how you wanna set it.

Thanks to all posters. I get it now.  Demos clips of this are straight-up amazing IMO.

Re: New User Questions - Schematics and Biasing Transistors

nostradoomus
It is a great fuzz. I made one from the DeadEndFX PCB and it smokes!