Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

Geiri
Hey guys, here's a vero layout for the Nyquist Aliaser which is some sort of bit crusher sounding circuit. I took a vero layout that I found and adapted it to larger trimmers, which I use. That layout is verified so this one should work as well but I'd like an extra set of eyes to see if you spot any problems.

Here's my layout:

Schematic:

Original vero:
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
hey,

thanks for this layout!
did you build it? i wonder how it sounds compared to the "analog bit crusher" from EA (which I like, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of the oscillation...)

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
can't get mine to work correctly, i don't have 2N5210s and tried with 2N2222 and 2n3904... did you actually build it, and if so, did you use 2N5210s?

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

Geiri
I've yet to build this but I will soon!
www.pedalprojects.com

cylens
OK, please report your experience when you do so!

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
I've stock 2n5210s... nothing

I think I'm gonna quit on this one. it's a shame, I really "need" one of those

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

Alex
Hi!
There is a cut missing in Geiri's layout.
I've circled in red the missing one:

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
thank you!

it's working now!! much better than the "analog bit crusher". still a bit of bleeding from the carrier frequency (or whatever it is), though, but I can live with it, moreover if the signal is blended with dry signal (which I recommend). I'm gonna try with other transistors and report

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
works fine with 2N3904 and 2n2222A (mind the pinout), the carrier frequency is a bit quieter withe the 2n2222As (3 dB-ish)

thanks again geiri for the layout and albru80 for the help!

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

Alex
I'm glad it works.
If you don't want any bleeding you should build the Wolf Bagger.
It has a Gate pot that eliminates that.

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

cylens
I'm not sure I've come across the layout for the Wolf Bagger, but will certainly look a bit harder :)

FYI the Nyquist Aliaser needs to be phase reversed in order to be blended.

Re: Nyquist Aliaser (bitcrusher)

GuyB
I remember studying Nyquist frequency theorem during my Engineering at Uni, a long time ago, I'll have to look into it again.