One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

motterpaul
I now have this thing cooking pretty well - but I just have one last issue before I box it.

The volume is not working effectively. As you turn it down you lose a lot of tone quality )it gets bassy and you lose the drive - the gain knob works better as a volume control). Plus, the volume knob fully off only turns it down about 30% from peak output.

This pedal is now super loud (a Cornish buffer does wonders) - but if you cannot tame it without losing the sound quality that is a problem.

Any ideas? A volume knob should not be that hard to figure out. But it looks logical to me.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

induction
Sounds like the Volume pot isn't grounded properly. Double-check the connection to lug 1. If it's placed correctly, try remelting the solder joints.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

motterpaul
I noticed on the schematic the 1n cap also goes to lug 2. It doesn't do that in the layout.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

dexxyy
volume pot fully CCW should shunt the signal to ground, definitely sounds like it`s not grounded properly.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

motterpaul
Thanks guys - I had not boxed this yet, so I was trying to ground it to the vero - but for some reason that was not working. So, I took that off and ran a jumper from 1 to ground on the breadboard and now it works.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

Silver Blues
You can add the treble bleed cap right to the pot if need be.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

It looks like the vero takes the output directly off the 100 nF cap downstream of the Deep pot.  So some of the minor filtering in the schematic is removed (probably a good thing).  You can add this back in off-board if you want to experiment.

Re: One last question - Diesel Diefet Output Volume

motterpaul
Yeah, after the struggles I went through just to get this sounding loud & proud I am a wary of experimenting, but I still have concerns.

1. The treble pot -  As designed the treble pot loses all treble in the middle and just gives low volume scratchy noise, like a steep HPF at 1k (awful), when full on, and overall volume drops about 50%. But when you turn it fully down it gets much louder and more full freq response including highs. So I reversed the leads since it sound far better and full frequency CCW. That is where I would use it.

2) The mid-range sounds better now with the volume properly grounded.

3) The bass is also a volume pot - turning it down turns the circuit nearly off so you need to turn the volume up.

4) Depth is barely perceptible, and the same with Presence

5 & 6) Volume & Gain now working normally

EDIT: I meant HPF