Power coated enclosures

jwroper
Hi, I'm after some already powder coated 1590b enclosures, anyone know a good source that will do them in the UK? Rapid do them for £10.49 + postage here, but wondered if there were any better options?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMOND-1590-Series-Colour-Aluminium-Stomp-Box-Case-Enclosure-Stompbox-/130686321564?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item1e6d83039c

To be honest i'm just fed up of sanding, priming and spray painting them, i'm thinking the extra £5 a box might be worth paying out, considering the price of the spray paint and the effort/time involved. I've been using spray and primer from Halfords, I've tried enamel spray paint too which seems a bit tougher. What does everyone else do paint wise?

Cheers

Re: Power coated enclosures

Dave
I can't see you beating rapid easily, that sounds like a pretty decent price to be honest.
Cheers
Dave

Re: Power coated enclosures

Have a look around to see if there are any local companies that offer powder coating - many auto shops and especially motorbike shops have powder coat ovens big enough to take wheel rims.

Re: Power coated enclosures

cylens
http://www.banzaimusic.com/ has just started stocking many color options for aluminium enclosures for less than 10 euros.

Re: Power coated enclosures

dexxyy
You could buy a starter pack from these guys and do your own
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Power coated enclosures

inefficiency
I wish one of us did have the gear for powder-coating. It'd be nice to have our own in-house "guy".

I presume you've all tried various aerosol paints and lacquers? I tried this stuff once that was supposed to have a plastic-like finish and it just ended up being really funny looking and the paint chipped within days.

Re: Power coated enclosures

cylens
Just received some enclosures from Banzai: they're actually Mammoth enclosures (4site, same packaging, same colors).

this is good if you want to avoid waiting 3 weeks! considering shipping rates from US to Europe and the fact that I had to pay VAT on the last orders I got from Mammoth, I don't think they're much expensive...

Re: Power coated enclosures

dexxyy
AFAIK Milkit has one of these kits, whether he would be willing to take orders I don`t know. I`ll be getting one when I get my workshop sorted out, doubt if I would have time for anything other than personal use though.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.

Re: Power coated enclosures

negativefx
I doubt this helps for UK, but I have a good friend in the US that would powder coat bulk orders for super cheap.  If you got an order of 50+ together, I bet you would save money over the Rapid cost even with shipping from US to UK.  If you're interested, I'd be happy to facilitate.  I could order the blank enclosures shipped to him, and then he could ship to you for distribution.

Re: Power coated enclosures

GoranP

Well I do have a powdercoating setup but I doubt I can be very competitive.
I powdercoat in my basement and can do small scale and only RAL colors because I have no decently priced access to hammertones and candies and such. While I'm in EU, I don't have access to cheap Hammonds so I'd need to order in, coat and ship out to you folk. When all is added up, I don't think I could ever beat any of the big stores.

Re: Power coated enclosures

tabbycat
Beaker wrote
Have a look around to see if there are any local companies that offer powder coating - many auto shops and especially motorbike shops have powder coat ovens big enough to take wheel rims.
mildly necro reply, but am seriously thinking of going this route now.

have got 10-15 unfinished stomps and am considering stripping them all out and getting them powder coated in white as a batch then reassembling. as the total cost will be spread across 15 boxes i don't think it will be dramatically expensive.

i tried home-spraying today and it has put me off the idea. i did a bean tin lid in a huge cardboard box to catch the stray spray. but the spray i used (plasticote) was so fine that most of it atomised, floated up into my face and filled the kitchen with stink for hours. when i checked out the bean lid after the recommended x hours it had a horrible thin rubbery finish. obviously i'd need more coats and longer drying time, but ultimately it just felt skanky and grim and made me realise that i can't be arsed with all that mess and stink for a sub-standard job anyway.

but i remembered that when i was a teenage bmx junkie i got a frame powder-coated and it wasn't so expensive. and if you can piggy-back at a local coating place when they are doing something else of the same colour it makes it even cheaper, as they can spread the same prep and cleaning of their kit (where the labour is) across two jobs.

so will investigate prices tomorrow and report back.

Re: Power coated enclosures

knight_yyz
anyplace that sells Hammond enclosures should be able o get the powder coated ones.  All you need is the correct code.  For example the cobalt blue 1590B is actually 1590BCB, orange is 1590BOR,  etc...

Re: Power coated enclosures

tabbycat
knight_yyz wrote
anyplace that sells Hammond enclosures should be able o get the powder coated ones.  All you need is the correct code.  For example the cobalt blue 1590B is actually 1590BCB, orange is 1590BOR,  etc...
thanks knight.

i've decided i'm going to get pre-coated white from now on, but i've got about 10-15 effects already built into uncoated boxes that i'd like done. got a feeling that it would be cheaper and less effort to get those coated than to order 15 new and then have to re-drill etc. can strip and reassemble a basic pedal in 5-10 mins.

re the plastikote stuff i used, actually after a day or so it made quite an acceptable hard finish. thin, as i only used one layer, but hard like enamel. with a couple of coats it would be ok. but i'm in a flat with only a tiny kitchen to work in and i don't want the mess and stink involved after last time. it's a food area.

meant to call some places on friday but was off the planet in migraine hell. we shall see.