Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Madferret
For all my builds I've used Hammerite enamel spray paint to paint the enclosure with generally good results, the problem is it always takes forever to do a few layers and allow to dry properly which has put me off boxing as many circuits as I'd like to. I ordered a couple of pre-painted Hammond boxes to try and I have to say it made the whole process much easier. They were a few quid more than the standard boxes but once you've factored paint costs in it's probably no more than an extra pound or two, well worth it.

Am I missing something though? Have any of you guys got a better way to paint or any cheap sources for pre-painted enclosures?

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Silver Blues
Automotive paint. Just yesterday I hit a box with some "Medium Quasar Blue" from an old as all hell mini can and it took ONE coat and looks fantastic.

I've started taking my boxes, putting the top half and the lid on separate used spray can caps, and spraying all the sides in quick, overlapping strokes, then after making sure the coverage is good covering them with boxes to reduce impurities. Works great, and depending on your paint, fast and easy.

--Silvie

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

tonecut
I've been happy with pre-painted enclosures from Mammoth Electronics (in the US though...thinking of you UK folks). The price for the painting isn't a bad add-on and I then use painters tape to completely cover the enclosure, measure my lines, and then drill. It has worked out really well and I really can't complain.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Geiri
I like spraying and hand painting my enclosures. It gives me some variety over just soldering circuits all day and drill enclosures. I've sprayed a lot lately and I'm still improving. I guess if you're only paying a little more then it's fine if you're happy with it!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

JaviCAP
I use to paint my enclosures for just a reason: money :P I get my enclosures from 2,80 (1590A)  to 3:60 (1590BB) euros final price s&h included, just bare aluminum. I can get them black or white from Daier for a few cents more, but these are the colours I use less.

But for any other colours, powder coated, and so on, the price rises from 12-13 euros / piece to whatever you want to spend. So I prefer to paint them myself.

Day One: three coats of paint within 1 hour.
Day Two (at least 24 hours after painting): Decal
Day Three (at least 48 hours later than paint): Three or four coats of clear lacquer within 1hour.
Day 5: (at least 96 hours after paint): The pedal can be finally built, paint and varnish are dry enough to be managed.

So I use to drill  the enclosures I'm going to need on the next week and paint them on Sunday evening, so I can solder the PCB's and finish the paint work along the week, and on next weekend, the pedals can be built on friday to saturday.

BR

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Ross
If I have to build something nice for someone, I'll usually have Pedal Parts Plus powdercoat and drill the enclosure for me. It's expensive, but looks absolutely marvelous. I build 90% of my pedals for myself, and I personally don't care how they look. In that case, the most effort I will put into the artwork is maybe a waterslide decal. I just don't have the room at home (or the patience!) to paint my own enclosures.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

vick
i use a toaster oven to bake in betwean coats similiar to
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/boxinaday.html

I got my toaster oven at a Big lots for about $20.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

alltrax74
I don't paint my boxes anymore, this is what I do now :
I print an artwork on paper then laminate it, which makes it shine and protects it much better than a lacquer, and stick it on the enclosure.
It's fast, easy and cheap
Some exemples here : http://guitar-diy.jimdo.com/effets/

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Surgeon
I use a toaster oven too... got mine for 11$ on sale.

I can usually do a complete box within a day easy:

Oven at 175 F

-1 coat of primer
-2 coats of paint
-Apply labels
-5 coats of clearcoat

30min between each.

Great results.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Madferret
Thanks for all the info guys, I guess when it comes down to it I'm not all that patient and I don't seem to have enough free time. I do like the sound of the oven technique, I might see if I can find a cheap one.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

Hey Alltrax, now that's very interesting, considering my (lack of) building space!

How exactly do you stick it on the enclosure? Cyanoacrylate? Hotglue? Epoxy?

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

@Surgeon: do you sand before primer or in between coats?

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

otalgiafx
I used to paint my own boxes. 1) Use self etching primer to get a good grip on the aluminium 2) Several coats of plasticote 3) Decal 4) Several coats of laquer.

This method worked well, looked good, but cost a fair bit.

I know get my pedalboxes from rapid (£2.79) and pay to have batches of them powdercoated. The durability of powdercoat is wonderful.  I am in the process of experimenting with screen printing the enclosures using either enamel or 2 part epoxy ink.  Both a pain to work with as the ink dries quickly on the screen.  Next attempt will be vinyl cut stencil overlay and hand painted enamel, i'll let you know how that turns out.

Maybe the Devi Ever approach of printing a sticker onto raw aluminium is the way to go :)

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Vince
I use the oven way too.

I only give a light sand in between coats if there is any imperfections like little blobs or a stray bit of dust etc.. I let them cool down in the oven too so they acclimatize slowly. Not sure if that makes a huge difference but they just feel rock solid once cooled.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Madferret
I guess letting them cool in the oven cuts down on extra dust etc too?  I've got a part Husky part Alsatian dog that molts like crazy, I made the mistake of letting her into the garage when I was spraying a couple of boxes, never again.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Surgeon
Goran: I sand before the primer, not afterwards unless there are imperfections.

I made a spraybooth out of cardboard and then everything's transferred to the oven so, there's little chances of getting dust and whatnot on it (not that it never happens though).

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

Snare227
Is MammothElectronics the cheapest place you guys have found for prepainted boxes?  I've ordered boxes from Tayda and BitchesLoveMySwitches to paint, but I'd like to find some place that had some inexpensive pre painted ones.

I'm not the greatest painter, patience and free time are both slim. I've tried several different types and brands of paint this week.  (read: I'll be doing a lot of sanding next week on my days off lol) The best for plain solid colors that I have found is made by Krylon and is paint and primer in one.  It feels "thicker" when you spray it and doesn't run nearly as easy. It lays on smooth and covers in just a few thin coats, so it doesn't take as long to get a good coverage.

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

alltrax74
Goran, i use basic liquid glue

Re: Pre-printed boxes Vs paint your own.

GoranP

I'm sorry to be a PITA, but what exactly is a basic liquid glue? Only liquid glue in stores here is a cyanoacrylate glue, the one that folks like to call super glue of krazy glue. Everything else around here comes in much higher viscosities.

Could you give me a specific brand or a picture of it?

Also, I've tried laminating a piece of paper and when I cut it to size, top and bottom plastic layer fall off. How do you keep 'em together and how do you glue your edges so evenly (at least from what I can tell from your pictures)?

Do you clearcoat it?

12