RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
Hi Rocket!
There are a few mistakes:
- 47R should be 470R.
- 100K from Q1 collector should be 1K.
- J-J & L-J cuts should not be there and there is a 100n cap connecting
  Volume 3 to the trimmer instead of a link.
- Q1 collector should be linked to Q2 base.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
Hi Jondog!
What I meant about C2 and C3 was to swap the values (2.2n is fixed and you add 56p).

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

alright, i made the suggested changes, but the volume 3 is linked to the trimmer, and the 100nF coupling cap is part of the wrath switch, no? so when the switch is engaged the circuit is connected to the 100nF cap, which connects the 100k to +9V, and 180r to the fuzz pot, otherwise its just a 1nF to ground. at least that's what i'm seeing in the schematic.

note: corrected

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
looks good, also the electrolytic on the fuzz control is 22uf, not 2.2uf

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Blah. It's hard to see the values on the schematic, I swear I must be blind. Lol. I'll fix it in a bit and update the layout.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
This post was updated on .
Hi Rocket!
Great job!
Very compact layout!
What I meant before was: if you look at the board instead of the schematics (where it's missing), there is an extra 100n cap from Volume 3 to the trimmer instead of a link. (Q1 is BC109B. Board is 17 x 11)

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Hmmm, I don't see it for some reason. The only 100nF cap I see is a 2 hole span between the wrath switch and wrath pot. Are you saying I should remove that link and replace it with a 100nF cap and that part is missing from the schematic?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Heath
I'll be happy to help confirm this one, just let me know when you guys think it's at a point where it's worth the attempt (if it isn't already).

BTW, which switch is the footswitchable one?  Wrath?

Also, anyone familiar with the GF1A diode?

I believe I have some BC109Cs in stock.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Heath
1N4001 would work in place of a GF1A, eh?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
Exactly. If you check the original PCB from Jondog, it's the C3 (100n) capacitor from V3 to R6 (470R).
There should be 8 caps in total.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

negativefx
Hope so... GF1A appears to be SMD only.  :/

Edit:  Looking at the datasheets for GF1A and 1N4001, they look to be good subs.  Slightly different capacitance curves.

GF1A: https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/GF/GF1J.pdf
1N4001: http://www.vishay.com/docs/88503/1n4001.pdf

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

ok, should be good to go. i would think the 1n4001 should be fine for the diode, as i think it's just there for power filtering. heath, i watched the proguitarshop video and the wrath switch is the 2nd foot switch. i'm pretty sure this is good go, so heath you're up

anyways, here's the corrected, most up to date layout.

also, the trimmer is there to adjust the bias, so you can make that external if you wanted. the more i look at this the more i think it's just a highly modified fuzzface......

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
I've been building this out on breadboard from my schematic. At first I wasn't getting much out of it. I think when I did it originally I must have written some of the values wrong. I've been tweaking it (180r should be 180k etc...) and now it's starting to sound more like the Fuzz God, a very high gain fuzz face type. I haven't built the wrath part yet though. I update any changes I think should be there. I don't have any BC109b or BC109c so I'm using BC549 in Q1 and MPSA18 in Q2 as the BC109c is higher gain.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

boratto
with two bc 109 i suspect it is a deluxe meathead.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Heath
I'm going to try and give this one a go tonight.  Wasteland 2 has been competing heavily for my free time :D

I'm going to socket that 180r and test out what Jondog said about swapping it to a 180k and let you know.  If there are any other caps or resistors you think might benefit from socketing, feel free to let me now.

Holy smokes that's a lot of pot/switch wiring!

May the FUZZGOD rise!  FNORD!

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Nah, you can easily use bc109's in a fuzzface and hass been done for a long time. The schematic topography is super similar to a fuzzface, rather then a meathead, which I'm sure has some connection to the fuzzface some how.

Btw, can you give a list of changes beside that one reisitor so I can adjust the vero? Glad you're breadboarding the schematic, this will give us everything we need to know to get it done.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Heath
I've got a tangental question...

I'm capable of breadboarding.  I'm nto great at it, but this circuit is not so complex (except the pots and switches) that I think I'd have trouble with it...

Here's my question, is there some sort of trick to breadboarding a circuit with this many pots and switches or do you guys really hook up that many pots and switches to breadboard something?

Is this a stupid question?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

The way I do it is simply move from the input to output placing each component as I come to it. I find that for me at least this prevents me from getting overwhelmed and fucking it up.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Synsound
Ok Heath, it's a race. I can't start tonight but intend to be ready to test by early tomorrow night. Like you I've been waiting for the bugs to be sorted out.
Thanks guys.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
I've got a real nice thick Fuzz Face sound like the Fuzz God has. I had no luck with A100k for the fuzz control so I went with a B2K (didn't have a 1k) and wired up like a nnormal fuzz face control which seems to work great. I think I've drawn the wrath control wrong in the schematic, try wiring it from the output back into the input, I haven't done this yet. The caps for the gain switch sound better on Q2, but have the 2.2n on the switch instead of the 56pf (or leave the 56pf out, doesn't make much difference). I'm having trouble with the "sputta control", I can make it work, but I have to rebias Q2, I'm thinking the sputta control must be isolated somehow. As for the gain and treble switches, when I owned the pedal I rember they did change the sound, but not much of a change so if you don't hear too much difference I'd say it's normal.
I owned the pedal last year and sold it, then realized I missed it compared to other fuzzes. I searched all over for a schematic online but could not find one. I was able to borrow a pedal for a couple days so I had to do a rush job of drawing out the traces ( I'm sure the person I borrowed it from had no idea I'd be disecting it!!), so unfortunately I don't have the pedal to look over for reference. All in all I think I'm close, the Fuzz is sounding right. Just need to work out that Sputta and Wrath.
1234