RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Synsound
I went back and swapped the 100k for a 12k. Seems much better to me.  Seems silly to have a switch for what one could do with the guitar volume pot.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
Yeah, I don't like the 100k either but according to the SMD resitor code thats what it is. So you have a working VERO layout?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
On my breadboard version I just had it wired to bypass it anyways and din't really check how it sounded switched in. On the actual pedal I always had it out of the circuit.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Synsound
Yes sir, the layout works great. At 100k there would be no reason to use it. I had though about leaving the switch out also. With the change I will prob leave it in.
Thanks for the work you've put in.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
Glad to hear it works!

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
I've managed to reduce the size a bit.

This post was updated on .
Great! Have you tested it? Looks right.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Alex
This post was updated on .
Thanks. Not tested yet but should match your schematics.
Originally was a 14x11 board but there was a 3 rows resistor.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

jondog
Was going to build yours but I had already cut the vero and tracks for mine and didn't have enough leftover board. Just got components in the mail today so I put it together. Won't have any trouble getting into a 1590b.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

giudis
Very interesting pedal!

Is it verified? how do you set the trimpot?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Hozy31
This is an AMAZING pedal. Bulit using BC109C at top and BC549C at bottom and 12k resistor. Set trimmer to just shy of fully CCW. It does give some squeals in joint wrath mode but i love it. Has some real versatility about it. Becomes a pretty decent distortion when things are tuned down from sonic mayhem but WOW! This a definite keeper for me. Got some whacky tones through the bass as well but it really doesn't go with bass very well. Oh must add i used the 14 x 11 version as i had a bit of vero exactly that size.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Faldoe
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

giudis
How is biased in the original?

And every values are the same?

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

nocentelli
giudis wrote
How is biased in the original?
And every values are the same?
+1

I suggested the swap of 56p for 2n2, it just seems so high for a C-B cap and I couldn't see how switching in/out another 56p in parallel would be in any way audible.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

squirrels
I don't own an original but I built one based on Alex's layout with the original cap orientation and with the swap. Based on demos I've seen the treble boost is barely audible, with the cap swap it is but it does make the pedal prone to unwanted noise when the boost is active, on mine I can dial it out with the bias pot. I mentioned this on the main page (Jim Squires).

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

Sanyahot
Hi everyone !

I (finally) built my clone, based on Jondog's 1st circuit board (the 19x12, post's link : http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/RED-WITCH-FUZZ-GOD-II-PCB-layout-tp15330p17369.html )

Here's the pic :

I didn't change much : only the 100k resistor to 12k, like Synsound suggested. The gain boost is noticeable !

But I'm still wondering about a few things :
- The pot's : as I'm european, we don't have the same codes. Can you guys confirm that Volume, Fuzz and Sputter are LINEAR and Wrath is LOGARITHMIC ?
- The Treble Boost : really unnoticeable ! I saw you guys suggested to change the 56pf to another value. Anyone has a tested value that sounds right ?
- The "Wrath" footswitch : I don't notice any change !! Really weird... I used a carling SPDT ( https://www.banzaimusic.com/Carling-SPDT-SW112-P.html ). Since I didn't know the "1/2/3" connections on that switch, I assumed the solders by measuring the resistance between the lugs. I was wondering what kind of footswitch you used to work the beast.

Lot's o'questions, but I guess it's part of the experiment... And hey ! If it can help another n00b like me to see this PCB a little clearly... :D

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

squirrels
I got some time in with an original today at my local Guitar Center. I really can't compare it to my clone since it wasn't a side-by-side comparison but what I was mainly looking for was the effectiveness of the treble and gain boosts. On my clone, both do next to nothing except for when the Wrath switch is engaged. The original was a little different. The gain boost works nicely on the original when used as a normal fuzz but like my clone, the treble boost is pretty much useless. I have to double check my board to make sure that I used 12k for R1 (I used Alex's layout) and I'm also using a BC109B and a BC108.

Re: RED WITCH FUZZ GOD II PCB layout

willignicolas
Hi,

Have anyone tested the second version (swapping the 2 caps on treble boost) because i have squealing when i swap the 2 caps. With the 2.2n always used no squealing. But Indeed no sound difference with the treble switch on...

So Old version no squealing but no sound difference twith treble boos engage and new version squealing (with the 56p cap always on the circuit). Going to play with bias value to see what append.

Have someone this issue?
1234