ROG Bazz Fuss modified

Freppo
A small simple layout I made for the Runoffgroove Bazz Fuss.
I modified it with a SWTC tone control and a led for clipping insted of a germanium diode.
Makes it loud enough even after the drop from the passive tonecontrol.
Sounds pretty good even... :)

Verified

Here is the original schematic (v3)

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

Freppo
Sound sample here:

https://soundcloud.com/fredrik-lyxz-n/bazz-fuss
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

johnk
as you sure about this layout?
I built it  today. it never even gets to unity gain, and if you turn the gain up, it's actually gets quieter. IMO, the  tone control doesn't do much either.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

Freppo
This post was updated on .
yes, it should work. :/

Are you sure you didn't forget the cuts under C1 and R5?
Also check the connections:
vol 3 to ton 3
vol 1, tone 1 and gain 3 to ground

Unfortunatly I've sold the one I built.
But I will build it again, just to make sure it's ok!
Fun to see that someone is building one of my layouts :)
I hope you get it working!

I will report back later when I've built it again.

EDIT: Built it tonight, and it works 100%.
Controls react as they should and it easily gets above unity.
I will post a videoclip tomorrow if I have time to spare.

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

johnk
I've double-checked everything and mine's extremely quiet.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

johnk
I just redrew it so all of the component values are on the vero. I've checked everything and still sounds extremely weak.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

johnk
okay, just for the heck of it I swapped out the MPSA13 for another one. it works perfect now. thanks for posting it.

evidently the first one (which was brand new from the same batch as the second one) was a dud.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

Freppo
Good to hear you got it working John :)

I think it's very decent sounding considering the size.

Btw, what program are you using? Your layout looks great

Cheers / Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

johnk
Freppo wrote
Good to hear you got it working John :)

I think it's very decent sounding considering the size.
yep. it does sound good. I've built three other versions of the bazz Fuss, and IMO, your's is by far the best sounding one. to me, the others weren't boxing, but yours definitely is.

Freppo wrote
Btw, what program are you using? Your layout looks great

Cheers / Fredrik

thanks. i use DIY layout Creator version 2.01 beta.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

boratto
Some questions:

1. I got a BSR50 as Q1. Does the value of 10k (R5) iss correct for it?

2. Sounds great for BASS. What changes do you suggest for  a bit more open guitar oriented version?

3. Thinking on swap the led, and use 1n34 and 1n914 in series.

Re: ROG Bazz Fuss modified

Freppo
Hi Boratto!

1. I don't know, but it's probably fine.
2. You could try lowering the value of input or the output cap (C1&C2)
3. Just experiment, just keep in mind that other diodes might reduce the output alot

I recommend setting up the circuit on a breadboard and experiment :)

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se