ROG Britannia

Alex
This post was updated on .
Verified!
Thanks to Jopn for all the help and Mark SL for verifying it!

Re: ROG Britannia

Jopn
Nice!

I've got this on my short list, so I'll let you know if I get a chance to verify this :)
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: ROG Britannia

Jopn
Still working on this one, pretty sure I've got a build error that I'm tracking down.  In the meantime, if you want you can flip Q4 180 degrees and label D2 as 4148.  So far everything else looks good, but I'll know more for sure once I track down what is likely a tiny solder bridge.
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: ROG Britannia

Alex
Thanks for the help!
I've corrected the layout.
I hope it works!

Re: ROG Britannia

Great layout buddy

Re: ROG Britannia

Jopn
Looks like there's going to be some rejigging to do with this one. To the left of the ICS, those Leds, 10k and 470p should all be between pins 1 and 2.
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: ROG Britannia

Alex
Oh my God.. you are right!
Had to add an extra cut and an extra row to move components around.
There was also a 47K resistor missing.
I've updated the layout.
Hope it's ok now.
Thanks for the help and sorry about that.

Re: ROG Britannia

Jopn
No worries!  I took this on tweaking my troubleshooting rig, so the worst possible thing that could have happened to me would be that it worked 100% the first time, lol!

Glad there was a missing 47k too that I didn't spot, because after swapping those LEDs etc. around it still wasn't working.

I'll probably take another run at this from scratch at this point so that I can fully verify the updated layout.

Thanks again for your work on this, I certainly don't have the layout chops yet to have attacked this myself!
Q: Why is a drummer like a scud missile?
A: Both are offensive and inaccurate.

Re: ROG Britannia

Alex
Hi,
I finally managed to compare the layout to the schematics and I've found another mistake:
the 10K resistor from Brilliance 3 was a row too high. It has been fixed.
I've now corrected the layout and I'm pretty sure it's finally 100% correct.
Thanks for the help.
Let me know if it works!

Re: ROG Britannia

world vs venkman
Thanks!

Is there any chance someone could post IC voltages? I built this on perf using the ROG layout, and it sounds awesome, but I have to have the volume dimed to get even 75% of unity volume. Thanks!

Re: ROG Britannia

Mark SL
Just built it and it is verified.  I had at first had a jumper going to ground which was screwing everything up then I found the problem, fixed it and now it works.  It sounds great.  Very very bright even with the bass all the way up and treble all the way down.

Re: ROG Britannia

dexxyy
I built this on pcb from the link on the rog site and while it can be very bright it does tame down a fair bit with the treble and brilliance turned down, not to the point where it gets very bassy but it is a lot less bright. As it`s an amp emulator you might want to check that the amp your plugged into is set at a flat eq, if your amp is set a little bright to start with it will be amplified.It`s also really important to use a solid state amp (clean channel), I`ve tried it with tubes and it completely loses it`s vox tone. If that fails you may want to double check your cap values.
If it wasn't for this website I would definitely have a life.
MAO

Re: ROG Britannia

MAO
Added a bypass-able Dan Armstrong Red Ranger at the input, sounds great, layout worked perfectly.

The Jangler: https://plus.google.com/114192188550255459199/posts/cNY8VKknpEM
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: ROG Britannia

notnews
hey MAO,

Was looking at Britannia layouts and came across your Jangler design. It may be the internet filters on my work computer, but is the layout for the Jangler working and still available? Would it be too much trouble to post it as a picture here or elsewhere? I did an internet search for the layout and could only find a photo of the pedal enclosure on eBay.

You're doing great work, btw. Your Super Tone Control and Rocktave layouts are awesome!

-Alex
MAO

Re: ROG Britannia

MAO
This post was updated on .
Thanks Alex, you just made my day!

I did that one a while ago. I seem to recall I just tweaked a layout that
had already been posted. And then added a red ranger booster as a daughter
board.

I'll check it out when I get home and get back to you.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: ROG Britannia

notnews
That would be great! I appreciate everything you do here.

I've had a few amps over the years, and recently sold my AC30.. there are times I miss the high-end chime and sweetness the AC30, I was hoping the Britannia/Jangler could get some of that back for me. How do you like the circuit?
MAO

Re: ROG Britannia

MAO
This post was updated on .
I actually made this pedal for a buddy, but it sounded great to me...and he loves it.

Here are a couple of clips he recorded, played through a Marshall head.

Who would have thought a Marshall could sound so chimey?

https://soundcloud.com/maopedals/main-squeeze-before-jangler-in-top-boost-mode

https://soundcloud.com/maopedals/main-squeeze-and-jangler

https://soundcloud.com/maopedals/jangle-box
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

RE: ROG Britannia

Chris60601
You really should look into the Galileo also
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

RE: ROG Britannia

notnews
Chris,

Thanks for that. Yeah, it's been a toss-up between these two circuits. I've read good things about the Galileo. I'm a knob-tweaker at heart.. the more knobs the better for me, a huge reason why the G was so appealing. Then I saw MAO's Jangler layout and my interest peaked there also.

Do you have personal playing experience with either the G or the J, and the AC30 amp? I'd love to hear first-hand testimony comparing either of these effects to the real deal!
MAO

RE: ROG Britannia

MAO
Sorry Alex, looks like I didn't draw up a layout for this one. I must have used this layout and the Dan Armstrong layout as is. Probably just moved things around a little so the resistors would lay down.

I do recall I converted the Brillance pot to a Top Cut control by using a 100k log pot instead and reversing lugs 1 & 3. I also added a 100k linear volume control at the output of the Red Ranger and wired it as a switchable boost as shown here: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

IMO the bass boost feature of the Red Ranger wasn't very useful in this application, but the full range boost was good in addition to the treble boost option.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst