ROG Ginger

Alex
This post was updated on .
Verified!
Thanks to Cylens for verifying it.

Re: ROG Ginger

johnk
that's a nice compact layout, but I did notice a few errors in it.  for one, I don't really see anything going into the input. the eq section has another one. I went over yours a few times so it drew up one that's similar to it but with several corrections.
although I haven't built this version yet, i'm sure that this one is correct:

Re: ROG Ginger

Alex
This post was updated on .
Hi John!
Thanks for finding those mistakes!
I've added a 33K resistor at the input (sending the 1M to ground) and moved the 3.9K going to Bass 1.
I've updated it and it should be ok now.
At the end I've managed to move a couple of things around without changing the size of the board.
Thanks again for your help!

Re: ROG Ginger

alex.s
That's great, been wanting to build this one for my brother as he often plays straight through the PA with his Johnny Cash-esque band.

Would you say this can nail some old school, warm and ooomph-y sounds? And do you know if a DI box would still be needed for best results or if the Ginger acts like one?

Thanks a lot
Alex

Re: ROG Ginger

johnk
it's actually capable of both old school and modern tones. I basically sounds like an SVT. if you went straight to a PA, you'd probably want to attenuate the top end since bass cabs don't go up to 10KHZ or higher.

Re: ROG Ginger

cylens
Built it at last, sounds really good!!!

thank you Alex for the layout

Re: ROG Ginger

cylens
and had to wait a bit to box it, but here it is!

Re: ROG Ginger

Beaker
That looks great!

For the record, Ginger into DI box into recording desk sounds great. Made one for a friend who is a pro session bassist. He is now getting studio engineers asking him to bring the Ginger along for recording sessions.

Re: ROG Ginger

cylens
yes, it really sounds "amp-like" and that would be a great way to you use it. did you build the DI inside the Ginger? and if so, which circuit did you use?

thanks!

Re: ROG Ginger

Beaker
No DI circuit in my builds. In my opinion it's just not worth it. Good DI boxes are really cheap these days, and every studio has a bunch of them.

My friend is bass player for a certain Georgian born songstress and Womble collaborator if that helps.

Re: ROG Ginger

tabbycat
hi all,

i soldered up the ginger ampeg and fuzzdog ampegulator ('inspired by' a catilibread ampeg thing) boards before christmas , and after an unexpected enforced break am preparing them to test and box.

the ampegulator uses a 7660 charge pump to (optional) boost power from 9v to 18v for some hardcore headroom. was looking at the gnger and wondering if that might like a dose of 18v love too. caps are 50v all around, maybe the leds wouldn't care so much for that kind of voltage but something might be able to be done to compensate.

anyway, i know the ginger has a few fans here (espesh on bass) and the idea was in my head, so i wondered if anyone else tought it might be a good idea to try?
have got a handful of 7660 so would be easy to put a pump on a daughter board.

i built alex's ginger from here http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/ROG-Ginger-td8507.html#a12791

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/file/n8507/Gi.jpg

and here is the fd pdf for the ampegulator, schematic inside.

http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/Ampegulator.pdf

Re: ROG Ginger

Beaker
Hi Tabbycat. Yes the Ginger loves 18V. I put a voltage doubler daughter board in my last build on a switch so it can be run at 9V or 18V. Totally worth the extra effort, as it sounds even better at 18V than at 9V.

Fuzzdog's board is the Catalinbread SFT by the way.