RadioShack closing and soldering station

RadioShack closing and soldering station

For those that haven't heard yet RadioShack is going under, so as a result the liquidation had begun. I've hit 2 so far buying out all their .032 60/40 rosin core solder, copper desolder stip, and pcb etching solution which I plan to use for etching enclosures. Right now it's all 20% off, except on store fucked up and sold me 2 bottles of etching solution for $1.25 so it was like 90% off. I'm planning on stocking up on as much solder as I can, cause shit gets expensive, and as the sale price gets lower I'm going to get more.

Now the real interesting thing is I saw this digital soldering station. It's priced at $40 with 20% off, but I'm not sure if it's worth getting. Anyone have any experiences with it? I've read that it's a renamed good brand, but there's mixed reviews. A lot of people say it's great and worth it others not. So.......good buy?

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

inefficiency
I'm sure someone on this board said that they had that station and that it had been more than adequate.

I can't remember who or where, but it does ring a bell because I considered getting it. If I recall; they got it in a sale too.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

motterpaul
I am not familiar with this station - BUt I can tell you I have used a radio shack solder gun for years and while they are not bad, the tips are proprietary to Radio Shack (and mine burned out in about 100 hours). At the RS they only cost $1.99 - but if you can't get them there, they are not available anyplace else.

The difference is that the screw in - while with Weller they just slide in.

So - before you buy it make sure you will be able to get replacement tips at other places.  Personally, I was planning on shopping for a Weller solder station soon precisely because the Shack is going belly up.

I do agree about the solder, though, and other discount. Just but be careful, some things were really marked up so even at a discount would not be a bargain. Their breadboards (for example) were about $25 for what you can get for $5 on the Web.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Chris60601
Nor am I. I had a very low end one that burned out within 3 months. I have since moved to a nice Weller station and automagically, I no longer go through tips too.

Go figure!

Now, I think I should head out to ours as I could use etchant and solder too.
Good call on that, rockett.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

See. I love weller. My weller soldering irons have never let me down. I've just been thinking that maybe moving on up to a station would be a good move, and keep the irons as backups. I've been looking at one of the wellers, and another well known quality company, can't think of it but I remember it starts with an e and is made in the USA. I figure that I'm probably going to spend the cash on a weller based on the fact that they're workhorses and mine have never let me down.

Apparently, the shack soldering iron tips can be replaced with some normal ones from hakko and a few others.

I did notice as they jack up the prices of some things back to list price, but for the solder and what not the prices are the same as normal. Also, it seems some stores are raising the prices and others they're normal before the discount.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Frank_NH
I'm the one with that there soldering station!

It great!  Heats right up, has three temperature presets, and the tip has lasted through literally dozens of soldering jobs.  Get one - you'll like it.

Sorry to see RS go under.  No liquidation at our store yet.  If that happens I'll stock up/buy out their parts, knowing in the future everything will be purchased online...

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Chris60601
Frank, How dare you mock us with Wellers, you RS munkie, you!!!

LOL - I liked my RS devices as they were cheap enough and yes you are right rockett, replacing the tips was easy enough. Just my bad luck I suppose but as I mentioned in the thread from months ago, it could have been the water on the sponge too since it is well water from the tap (prone to rust not so much calcium). Where as now, I use the bottled water  that gets delivered.

Maybe its just stupid luck that my RS devices wore out but since the Weller switch, I been good to go.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Frank_NH
Nah - Wellers are pretty good too.

To be honest, I really don't think a hobbyist like myself will put enough miles on a soldering station to make it worth investing in a really expensive one.  However, if I were making pedals as a side business, I'd get something really good that would last.  So far my RS soldering station has worked fine for me.  Of course if it dies tomorrow - THEN I'll get that Weller!

I think I heard someone talking that not all RS will be going out of buss. I heard them mention that many of them will be converted to more of a smartphone sales barn. If that is true, the one here will easily make that transition as that seems to be the push they have been making. sadly the RS of today is not even close to what I recall as a child.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

It's true. There shutting down all but something like 1200 stores and those store will be half sprint. I think I may pick one up even if I get a weller or that other company to have as a backup. If they're like $30 it might be worth just having.... ooop and there goes the hoarder in me. Lol

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Interesting - The station itself looks nothing like mine , but the iron itself looks identical to my Xytronic iron, which I think is superb - right down to the five pin DIN type plug.

I wouldnt mind betting that Xytronic tips, which are easy to get, and last for years will fit this iron perfectly. Heck, if it is made by Xytronic, the whole iron itself can be replaced if it ever fails.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Frank_NH
For the prices they'll be selling for, it will be worth getting one.  In addition, they have a nice hot air gun for especially heat shrink tubing that I'll get.  And tools too (their wire cutters are as good as anything I've used).  My DVM is a recent RS purchase too and it's worked quite well.  To be honest, their stuff is not industrial grade, but for hobbyists more than good enough.  So take advantage of the sales and stock up on stuff you think you may use down the road.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

ahh!!!! i rememberd the other one i was thinking about getting. it's the edsyn 951SXe. tones of amazing reviews, 90Watt iron, tips last a long time and are cheap, plus made in the USA. i was also thinking about the weller WES51D. not sure what station to go with, but since i walked into radioshack again today there's still 6 of those stations, so i don't think i need to rush, so i got time till it drops to 50% or more off.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Muadzin
I had one of those solder stations. It died a few months ago but it worked for years and I really liked working with it.

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Re: RadioShack closing and soldering station

Muadzin
I got something different from a Dutch webshop. And its okay, does the job it has to do, plus its a digital soldering station. I'm hooked now, can't go back to using regular soldering irons. In some ways its even better because I now have presets. But what I really had grown to like about my old one was its very thin tip. The new one unfortunately has a bigger tip. Still, i gets the job done.

Too bad I didn't know where the old one had come from. It was a hand-me-down you see.