Recommend a good fuzz

Freppo
There are too many to choose from!

I want something that sounds fat, has some sustain and alot of dirt that can do punk and 70's heavy/psycadelic hardrock.

Don't want it to sound too splatty, gated, farty or fizzy like I find alot of fuzzes do...

Preferably a simple build and something that works good with humbuckers.
And something that isn't too prone picking up radio,
The last fuzzface type circuit I built picked up russian radio...

Any suggestions? Thanks!
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Dave
Roger mayer spitfire, sounds great even when the fuzz is cranked.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Rolf Poti
I use the EHX 73 Rams Head Big Muff, I mostly play Funk/punk aka Red hot chili peppers, and this fuzz works wonders.

If you don't want the mid drop you could tweek the values at the tone knob using the program Tone Stack Calc 1.3

Heres the layout
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2012/06/ehx-73-rams-head-big-muff.html

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Surgeon
+100 on the spitfire but while you're at it go for the mongfire. There's a subtle difference between the mongoose and spitfire but since the part count is only slightly higher I do believe it's worth it for the additional flexibility. Both of them are amongst the most underrated fuzzes ever for you application imo...

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Freppo
Thanks!

I will check out the Roger Mayer fuzzes :)
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

mirosol
Administrator
Lunar Module, both Meatheads and both Buzzarounds. My personal favourites.
+m
fyaelectronics.com

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Vince
Meathead Dark. Fat, smooth, nice amount of gain. Not fizzy, splatty or gated at all.

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Jon the Art Guy
I've found my tones, and they're the germanium fuzz face (I'm going to build that Escobedo easy face) and the Black Arts Pharoah (also gonna build, but later down the road a bit). I like a really thick sound that has a wooly mid-y sound.
It's funny; Through so many years of searching for the right fuzz, the tone I love so much ends up being a hi-gain pedal (boss HM-2) and a flabby old blues fuzz like the Ger-FF.

Black Cat OD guts are being shipped from Tayda as well as the Easyface guts, so I'm looking forward to wedging those into electrical junction boxes, hosing them down with engine block enamel, and showing them off someday soon.

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Freppo
Cool!

I've narrowed it down to these 3:
Roger Mayer Mongfire
DAM Meathead dark
Skreddy Lunar Module

That will settle my lust for fuzz...for now :)

I also really liked the demo of the Black Cat OD-1, so I'll probably build that aswell
cheers!
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

JaviCAP
Good selection :)

Anyway, if you choose a D*A*M fuzz, you can't go wrong:

Meathead (normal and de Luxe), Drag'n'Fly, Grease Box, FuzzRong, Sonic Titan (even tough this is more an overdrive, no a fuzz) are all just exceptional.

I think that with the Meathead, de Luxe version if posible, you'll be more than satisfied.

BR

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Ross
+1 for the Meathead. Super easy to build, no messy germanium transistors, and an absolutely gorgeous tone.

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Madferret
Does anyone have any opinions on Germanium Fuzz builds? I've not bothered so far as it seem like a hassle to get the right transistors without getting ripped off. Part of me kind of thinks I should try it though, just because so many people rave about them.

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Dave
I think the germanium vs silicon thing is just another one of those mojo vs mojo debates, sure theres probably a small difference but i dont think its big enough to pay that much extra just for transistors. The only germanium fuzz i have is the fuzz factory, and lets face it, when you turn that on, germanium trannies arent exactly the first thing you notice.
cheers
Dave

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

JaviCAP
Sure  Madferret,

I've currently built Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, Zvex Fuzz Factory, D*A*M Grease Box and Drag'n'Fly, and Tonebender. All of them are germanium based.

Well, the sound is a bit different, smoother and maybe (it depends os tastes) richer. For sure is not as harsh as it can get with silicon ones.

I agree that prices of NOS tested trannies are just insane, but there are still on the bay some sellers that offer selected pairs at reasonable price, about  7 euros / pair of AC128's,  s&h inlcuded. OCXX's are about 10 bucks unit or even more expensive.

But what was a discovery for me were the ex soviet GT308 and other russian germ trannies. These are not known for their high gain, but they have "something inside" that makes them great. Their price is quite low, about 15€ a pack of 50 units, and you can get several great pairs out of these 50.

I can tell you that i built the Fuzz Face and the Fuzz Factory with selected AC128s, and now I have GT308s inside. The Grease Box does so take 3 GT308s inside.

Before started to build D*A*M silicon fuzzes, I just liked germanium ones, could not support silicon ones.  I see now that you can get incredible and smooth fuzzes with silicon, but all in all, the sound is different.

You can buy a selected pair and try for yourself,  not much money to risk :)

BR

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Recommend a good fuzz

Madferret
Thanks Javi, I think I'll pick up some of those Soviet Germaniums you recommend and maybe give the Fuzz Factory a go.