Repeater Electronics PLL

SonusFluxa
This post was updated on .
In my various travels around guitar/synth DIY forums, I found this entry:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33721

I decided to make a vero layout based on his breadboard layout, for my own personal use. It came out pretty good, so I emailed him asking if I could post it here. He got back to me super quick, and added this:

"The old breadboard layout I posted on Muff Wiggler had an error and needs Pin5 (INHIBIT) of the CD4046 grounded or it probably won't work. I've also found that the single transistor amplifier doesn't give much sustain, but your mileage may vary..."

Grounding said pin cleared up any wonkiness I attributed to my late night soldering. Completely warps my guitar tone into a glitchy synth wave. Here is my layout, updated with his correction. Check out his website, he has a ton of awesome stuff that he's been working on!

The SPDT wasn't specified, but I used an on/off/on, and get 3 different octave settings. Also, I get crazy high pitched oscillations if the pitch knob is set too far in one direction, rectified by just turning it the other way. Maybe the nature of the beast...?

Hopefully some of you find this interesting, and can give my layout a second set of eyes.

Cheers!

Re: Repeater Electronics PLL

Synsound
Added to build que. Thanks for sharing!
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Repeater Electronics PLL

edo1123
This thing looks mean.. Any ideas on how to do this with ics from this site? There are 4046s but no 4040s http://www.musikding.de/ICs_1 .. I mean, are there any equivalent for the 4040?

Re: Repeater Electronics PLL

notnews
Hey Sonus, layout looks great! This circuit sounds like it would be super fun to use... thanks for putting the time into this and releasing it to us here. Have you or anyone here built up this stripboard layout with the corrections suggested on MWiggler?

Re: Repeater Electronics PLL

SonusFluxa
Notnews - I built it first without pin 5 of the 4046 grounded. It worked intermittently, but would cut out. After he emailed me, I went back and grounded pin 5. Way more stable. I haven't tried the decoupling caps people mentioned on MW. I may try adding them. Either way, I'm really loving the sounds this thing can produce.

Edo -Sorry, I'm based in the US, so I just ordered my 4040's from Tayda.

Re: Repeater Electronics PLL

Synsound
Just got done building it and all works well. This is certainly one of the glitchiest circuits I've ever heard and will surly get boxed. Thanks