Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
So I finished up my Reverberation Machine and thought all was well since I really was only using the dark star setting. Switching over to bright sunshine left me with a very subtle reverb only when the blend pot is dimed. Dark star seems to be working fine. I wish I would have payed more attention before boxing it up.

With the pots at max and the bright sunshine switch voltages are:

78L05:
I: 8.35
G:0
O: 4.92

TLC27M4ALN
1: 4.24
2: 4.24
3: 2.85
4: 8.35
5: 2.65
6: 3.5
7: 4.13
8: 0
9: 6.2 (fluctuates, highest reading)
10: 0
11: 0
12: 2.85
13: 4.15
14: 4.15

BDTR-2
1: 4.93
2: 0
3: 0
4: 0
5: 0.03
6: 0

Tried it out with a TL064 as well with the same results, no voltages though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
I also tried swapping out the blend pot with no change. Here are a few photos but they probably don't show much.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Alex
Hi Jim. The switch selects 2 different sets of components and you said one of the settings works as it should.
Is the switch on its own working properly (I mean the switch contacts)?
Try to run a knife on the left side of the board where the switch components are.
Maybe try to re-flow solder too.
This part of the schematic shows how the switch works:

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
Hey Alex, thanks for the reply. I don't have another DPDT to try out, so I desoldered everything and flipped the switch with the same results. I'm still not that great understanding what certain components do in a circuit but I'm assuming that the components off lugs 3 and 6 would be for the bright sunshine setting, right?

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Alex
It should be the brighter side.
Have you tried to run a knife? I think I can see some bridges in your picture

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
Yeah but doing it again can't hurt. After that I'll just swap out the components. It seems like the problem is isolated to that spot so hopefully it's an easy fix.

Did you run it after taking the picture?
Can also use a multimeter to make sure there are no bridges between rows.

No before. Taking the pictures was admitting defeat. To test with the multimeter, just touch the probes between the rows where the components are connected? Also, what setting? I've only used the multimeter to check components.

Actually, I'll figure that one out myself. If I don't I'll never learn anything.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Alex
I would run a knife everywhere first and then check with the multimeter.
Should check all the rows that are next to each other. Don't forget that there are cuts.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
On an unrelated note, is there a reason for the output going from volume 3? It's much louder this way with less usable sweep than with the conventional way.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
Should there be any continuity?

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
I believe that I've solved it. Not a build error or faulty component, it doesn't seems like its effects loop friendly. I plugged it into the front of my amp and sounded great, dark star sounds good both in or out of the loop. The Cave Dweller reacted the same way, I completely forgot about that. My Echo Dream sounds great in the loop. Sorry for wasting your time Alex but a really appreciate the help.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Alex
Glad you've solved it!
Do both switches work correctly now?

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
I think so. The bright side doesn't seem as strong as the demos but that could just be I'm not playing as loud or the way it was recorded. I have to have it dimed in the loop but around half way it becomes effective in front of the amp. The dark setting sounds better anyway but I still want it it to be 100% functional. I may rebuild the board anyway in case there is something I missed. Thanks for your help and the layout too Alex.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Alex
Did you knife the whole board?

Yeah, reflowed it all too. Held the board up to the light and all the gaps are clean.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
It's definitely just not playing well with the loop in my amp, in front it sounds perfect. I'd say it was fine from the start, I'm very happy with it. Actually I moved my Echo Dream out of the loop too. If I wanted a pristine and clean reverb, I would have looked elsewhere. Thanks again for your help Alex.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

Addy Bart
I had the same issue. I played around with the resistors in the sunshine circuit, and found using a lower value for the 100k there, fixed the problem. Initially I jumpered it, but settled on 4k7. Sounds just like the Knobs demo now.

It made me wonder where the schematic came from... Did someone trace their pedal? Maybe there's an error.

Re: Reverberation Machine way to subtle with sunshine

squirrels
Thanks for the info, tried it out sounds much better. I tried a few other values out too but I thought the 4.7k sounded best as well. Sounds better in the loop too. Thanks.

I wonder if anyone else had the same problem, nothing was said on the main page but no one said they didn't either.
12