Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
Not gonna lie, as a huge Sabbath fan I wet myself a little when I saw this... especially being impressed with the RAH I have high hopes for this..... So any info would be good... I'd rather build it but if the price is right I may even.... wait for it....... BUY IT......

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Ooh I think I'll be liking this one too.  I can't see anything that looks like IC pins at the back of the board but I can see maybe 7 transistor-like spacings, so who's betting it's a JFET Laney?

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

inefficiency
I spotted this posted this morning and got pretty excited.

All hail Iommi, master of the riff!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

JaviCAP
I think there's an IC on the right top corner, a voltage doubler?

J.

PS Firget it, it's 6 pins, not 8 :P

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
7 Jfets?!.... ahhh shit.... hopefully there wont be a lot of tweaking needed but using fets would tie in with the rest of their other drive pedals....

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

boratto
oh god, thumbs up for this one!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

It's all guess work anyway and could be totally wrong, but knowing Catalinbread maybe 4 of them could well be muamp stages so it may not be as bad as you suspect, particularly if there are buffer stages as well which wouldn't need trimmers.

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

inefficiency
What kinda coinage do you guys reckon we are looking at? Around £130?

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
The RAH is about £150, the WIIO is £140 so I reckon around that mark... I don't think I can fork out that kind of money. The practical side of me says just build a rangemaster, done. But the new shiny toy in me wants that pedal!...

http://tonereport.com/news/catalinbread-leaks-two-new-pedals

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

inefficiency
I love that instead of Volume it has "Vol.4".

So, I know about Iommi's "Oldboy" SG into his Laneys and I know he uses a modded rangemaster, but it says in that article that they are "always on".

You know anything about this Vince? Is his treble booster always engaged?

I've heard about him using some Tychobrahe pedal of some sort. Not sure if it was his wah on Electric Funeral or something else....

I'm guessing there are gonna be a few JFETs involved with building this if it's meant to be like a Laney preamp. It says in the article that the Galileo makes heavy use of them to emulate an AC30, so I reckon they're kinda in a similar vein.

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
I agree about the use of Jfets. I read that when he cut the tip of his finger off and detuned so it was easier to play, he said the bottom end became too mushy so someone recommended a Rangemaster that he had modded to be a bit fatter. I think the Naga Viper or DAM Red Rooster will do a good job. The Vol.4 is a class touch!..I may have to build a couple of Klons, sell them and buy the pedal

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

alex.s
Yeah my first thought was JFET Laney pre (is it the old Supergroup he uses/used?) with a rangemastery push at the front. That could also explain the odd number of trannies?

Should be interesting to hear, as Sabbath/Iommi tones and emulations aside, it could make for a very interesting and versatile gain box suitable for many uses!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

inefficiency
Yeah, I think it's basically a replica/emulator of one of his supergroups with JFETs instead of tubes and a rangemaster/modded rangemaster in the front.

Should be very tasty!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

So by a Rangemaster we can pretty much guarantee it'll be a Naga Viper

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
I think it'll be a Naga viper too, due to the 'range' control. I think it'll be the Naga with fixed boost and heat and just the range control into whatever drive circuit it will be..

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

alex.s
Just had a quick google and it's on pre sale on PGS (which means an Andy played demo should be soon on its way). This is from the description:

Inspired by Iommi's Laney Supergroup amps and Rangemaster treble booster, the Sabbra Cadabra may well be the final word in nailing Iommi's tone from the foundation rather than the aftereffects. Too much emphasis is placed on fuzz pedals coupled with distortion and whatever else. Why not start at the blueprint: two pieces of Iommi's gear that are always on as long as a guitar is in his hands.
It also mentions it works on both 9 and 18v for extra headroom, so no charge pumps there.

Great minds, uh? :P

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

inefficiency
Oi Oi!

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

Vince
Both of them sound great.... they would make a great DIY dual pedal...

Re: Sabbath Pedal?!

egvarga
For God's sake, someone, PLEASE, buy and convert this pedal to vero!
12