Solder

bogey
I'm going to run out of solder soon.
So before I order some more I thought I'd ask if there's a particular diameter/brand/supplier that people use?

I'm currently using 0.7 or 0.8mm(can't remember) but tend to find myself twisting it to double it up for solder tags on pots and jacks.

Any thoughts?

Re: Solder

I use .032" which is .821mm I think. I like smaller solder, because even if I have to use a little more, it's thin and can get into tight spaces.

Re: Solder

Silver Blues
I'm using 62/36/2 tin/lead/silver in 0.6mm diameter. It's great stuff, highly recommended. It sucks that I hate the store it comes from though

Re: Solder

motterpaul
Do not get lead-free, do get resin core. Usually about 60/40 mix (tin & lead) is best. I use this right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRAB0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0002KRAB0&linkCode=as2&tag=buildelectcir-20

But for me anything from .6 to .8 mm is the right size. I tried thinner (.3) and you can get in tighter spaces, but you have to push more length onto the solder tip to make a joint. So, I personally like thicker solder because you get enough to make the joint the second it melts and you don't have to push more in. I personally get cleaner joints with this, tho I see the point of using thinner solder for tight places. .8 mm is a little thick, I think I felt best about .6mm, but you would probably like thicker if you are doubling up.

Re: Solder

Silver Blues
Oh god yes lead free is shit. I have a full roll of MG Chem lead free kicking around that I've used literally once (for one build, that for a probably nonsensical reason I didn't want to use leaded solder in). It all ended up fine but it's difficult to work with and a good lead-free joint looks suspiciously like an atrocious leaded joint, which is extremely off-putting.

Re: Solder

Synsound
I ran out mid build a while back and rushed to Radio Shack. Without paying enough attention I pcked up the lead free. After about 10 solder joints I noticed things looked like shit. I started reflowing all the joints thinking I had just started sucking at this all of a sudden. Took me a quite while to realize what I had done.

That said, I prefer to use .032" 60/40 rosin core.
Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Solder

I use Rapid's own label 60/40 tin/lead rosin core which is about 0.75mm dia. Great solder.

I also use Multicore brand Ersin 309 5 core 99C tin/copper 0.9mm dia. lead free solder.

While I understand Americans dislike of lead free solder, they are lucky they do not have to comply with RoHS regulations. To date lead solder is still ok to use in the United States.

However in Europe, RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) means that the use of lead solder is banned. (There are certain military, medical and aerospace excemptions.)

What this means, is that you can use lead solder to make a pedal for yourself.

If you make a pedal to sell, trade, swap or even give away to someone else, anywhere in the European Union, it must use lead free solder.

It is rather confusing and arbitrary - I had to do a great deal of research into this when RoHS  came in to effect, as I was setting up my guitar repair business at the time.

Eventually I contacted Multicore, as they are a British company, and explained my situation. They sent me a whole load of samples of their lead free to try, and I settled on the one I mentioned above, as the most suitable for my needs, then bought a couple of reels direct from them.

It really is a minefield - you can count the number of leaded solder types on one hand, but there are literally hundreds of lead free combinations, if you include all the different rosin formulations.

Basically, the cheap and easily available lead free is pure, utter, total shite. Do not use it if you can help it.

However there are really good lead free's out there, you just have to know what you are looking for.

Re: Solder

iggy
I really like the solder with silver in it. I currently use Kester Sn62. which I think is 2% silver. dia .02. I really like the thinner diameter wire. Much easier to use, and less likely to bridge.  Look on Ebay for it. I buy in the 1 lb. rolls. that'll last a long time.

I hate to say the best solder I have ever used was from Radio Schaak. It was their silver solder. It's hard to find but it melts easy, flow nicely, and the solders look beautiful. Sold me off standard 60/40 after the first roll.