Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

anders
Here is a great sounding high gain distortion/fuzz from Soulsonic.
Schematic and soundclips HERE

Initially I wasn't too impressed since the decay was really fizzy with lot's of crackle artefacts. After some tweaking I found out that if you replace D1 with a Shottky or a germanium diode the decay is way more solid and pleasant. It sustains for days now. I Also replaced the J Fet 10k Drain resistor with a trimmer to bias drain voltage to 4,5v. I settled on a 2N5457 here.
The tone control is very usable, ranging from dark doom tones counter clockwise to aggressive mids at noon to scooped metal tones fully clockwise.

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

Teddeeh
Many thanks man, how are the electrolytic caps orientated?

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

anders
It doesn't matter which way around they are orientated since they are bipolar.

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

BetterOffShred
All of your layouts have been cool Anders..  thanks for sharing.  :)

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

Hozy31
Built one. Sounds awesome. Thanks anders!
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

Kinski
Would be cool to just have the tone control and last recoveryb gain stage. Looking at the schematic, how far back do I need to go? Everything after r13 perhaps?

Re: Soulsonic The Chalice - Verified

anders
Yes, I think you're correct.