Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

These are the ones I got from Rapid:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/Nys234-Vertical-6-35mm-Stereo-Jack-Socket-20-0182

and the ones I got with Aaron look just like those that Dave just posted a link for.  I don't know if the pedalparts ones are exactly the same, but the ones I got are very nice quality and solid.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Ross
A heads up to those of you in the United States:
Ebay seller thaishine is excellent. They are also Tayda Electronics' US distributor. Thus, they sell almost everything Tayda does, with very fast (and free!) shipping.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Geiri
Dave wrote
I'm not sure if they're neutrik branded, but these are on par quality wise, they're what i use.
http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/14__Mono_Jack_Socket_-_High_Quality_635mm/p847124_6518417.aspx
Thanks
Dave
I use these all the time. Ordered 230 from him last time. Love them, great quality!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ichilton
No one has any discount codes for Tayda do they?

I've got a big order ready to go....

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Madferret
Check their Facebook page for a code they usually put on 2 a month. I waited for one to go live last time and saved over $10 which paid for the p+p :D

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Madferret
I've just recently taken the plunge into the Germanium world so I know what you're thinking.  There is at least one eBayer who sells tested germaniums and marks their hfe and leakage but they cost roughly £4  I also found a couple of sellers who were selling job lots of Russian GT308b's or ones like that for around $20 and I've heard that often it's best to just take the plunge and buy a bag full then find the good ones out of that.  Mark's previously done a layout for a Germanium tester:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/germanium-transistor-tester.html

All you need is a multimeter to work out the leakage and hfe.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Yes the Russian GT308s are great.   They don't go very high gain, but you can get 50 for not a lot of cash and they make great sounding fuzzes and Rangemaster type circuits, and will certainly cover all the Q1 lower gain transistor you require for many of the fuzz pedals.  Then if you want to try higher gain in certain positions you can look for the individual transistors and at least you know you'll always be covered for the lower gain one of the pair (or two lower gain transistors for the trio circuits).

Sticking with Russian GT402s cover the higher gain if you can find some.  There are also some really small germaniums like the GT108G which go fairly high gain.

Moving away from Russian the 2N404 is another great one.  I managed to get a batch of 100 a while ago and they are perfect for fuzzes, ranging from around 70 to 150 hfe.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Freppo
Where can I get shielded wire? Maybe a dumb question, but I can't seem to find it.

All my hi gain pedal builds turns out quite noisy, even with shortest possible offboard wiring. I'm hoping that will help a bit..
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Rolf Poti
What sort of capacitors are you using??
If the the enclosure is shielded I don't belive the shielded wire will make much differens

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Freppo
I'm using a combination of Mylar film and Polyester film caps
And i'm using regular 1590B or BB boxes for most part.
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Bob sells it at bitsbox:

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/cable/cable.html

It's listed as Audio Connecting Cable (1-core) - Grey

Also while you're there that ribbon cable is excellent for pot connections.  For 99p you'll be able to wire up a lot of pots by cutting to length and removing 2 or 3 strands at a time

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Ross
Anyone have experience with the Vishay axial MLCCs? A guy on eBay's selling 200 for $8.75 shipped... works out to about 4 cents/cap.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ichilton
Where do you guys get stripboard from?

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

dodido wrote
Plus, Saints beat Man City so all in all still a good day.
Yes this pleased me too

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Ross wrote
Anyone have experience with the Vishay axial MLCCs? A guy on eBay's selling 200 for $8.75 shipped... works out to about 4 cents/cap.
Yes I've got a lot of the axial MLCC and they're really good, and a real God send when you don't have a lot of space.  Try to get them with NP0/C0G or X7R dielectrics which are close tolerances and good reactions to temperature changes and a long life.  The Z5U dielectrics which you do see on eBay have pretty poor tolerances.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ichilton wrote
Where do you guys get stripboard from?
Rapid Electronics
1234