Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Rolf Poti
I was just wondering what you guys think about Taydas Pots(Alpha knurled) and their jacks?
Should i buy somewhere else??

Thanks,
Rolf

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Madferret
They're pretty much like any other Alpha pots but with a shorter shaft than most I've bought elsewhere, they're a little stiffer than some too but it makes them nice and solid to use. I like the fact that they've got a plastic back too as it stops them from shorting your boards.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Heath
Just make sure your 16mm pots from Tayda come with the washers a nuts.  That's the *only* gripe I've ever had about Tayda.

Right now, I go to Tayda for Pots, Trimmers, Resistors, Caps, Diodes, and ICs.  Great selection, and I can get the 5% carbon film resistors for about $0.01 each.  Not everyone's cup of tea but a great way to get sorted and labeled resistors to fill out your stock.  They also have decent tantalum cap prices.  I buy hordes of stuff there.  It's cheap enough that when I need a particular non-bulk-type component, I usually go ahead and order 4 or 5 more for future projects that might need them and/or replacement in the case of a bad IC or one blew up.  It's too cheap not to.

Also, the last two orders I've placed with them I've received within just a few days.  I always use the "Economic Express" shipping option for just a couple of dollars more, and it really seems to be worth it.

I use mammothelectronics.com for enclosures.  I really haven't found them cheaper.  Not the cheapest, but aside from a small period where their popularity outgrew their ability to process orders, they have been really nice and dependable to deal with.  The powder coated and drilled enclosures can get a pricey, but I really only get those if I'm making a pedal for someone and can recoup the cost.  I personally always order blemished enclosures.  5 1590As for $15, 5 1590Bs for $20, etc.  I've only once gotten a batch that actually looked a bit blemished to me.  My last order (shown in my "New Enclosure Day!" post are actually all ordered as "blemished" but not one of them had a visible imperfection that I could find.  That made screwing up my first 2 1590A enclosures easier to deal with.

They're also pretty good for ICs and such, but where they really hit it out of the ballpark is with their 3pdt stomp switches.  For $2.25 each it's hard to pass up.  I know most of you aren't in the US, so not sure how the shipping would work out, but it's acceptable here, if not exactly cheap.

It's weird, a lot of their stuff is laughably overpriced ($0.20 per resistor!?!?!  $0.50 for a cap?!?!?) but other stuff is cheaper than I find anywhere else.

Smallbear is a good place.  Not cheap, but they do have some unusual stuff that is worth paying a bit more for (the low profile 1/4" jacks for the 1590A enclosures AND decently priced 9mm pots).  They're not my first stop, but I do hit them up fairly regularly for goodies that I don't immediately find elsewhere.  The guy who runs it is a really nice dude, too.

Guitarpcb.com
Not a huge selection of parts, but what they do have is decently priced to the point where every time I buy a PCB, I have to grab a bunch of other goodies as well.  Barry is a really cool decent guy who likes to stuff tons of extras in every order.  Not insignificant stuff either.  Among the cool assortment of freebies is a Mini Klon PCB, and Zendrive PCB, a SHO Nuff PCB, 3pdt pcbs for easy wiring, guitar picks (surprisingly high quality, I keep these in my "regular" use pile), etc.

He has the BEST wire I've ever used, called "Barry's Best Hookup Wire."
He has the cheapest prices I've found on "Pot Condoms"
Precut 3 header transistor sockets
5 packs of some common Opamps for really great prices
Hand matched transistors 2 and 4s
Germanium transistors (and sets) Measured and labeled.  They're not exactly cheap, but you know you're not getting junk either.

Oh, and is DPDT mod wiring boards are COOL! Seriously, I think some of you here might get a head explosion from these things.

When I need stuff, I actually hit there first and get a few common things I need, and then start shopping for the more esoteric stuff.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Vince
Is anyone familiar with the quality of these pots? They're not really that much more than Tayda's alpha but buying a lot in different values you'd start saving a bit. But if they're cheap and nasty then you wouldn't be saving anything really

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110938863146?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Madferret
I've had some, they're cheap and nasty but good for testing out layouts that you're not sure about. I wouldn't use them for serious stuff though.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
made a big order from china allibaba...yes it took 25 days to come but...

50 pcs of 3pdt switches 1,1$ each, all working perfect
10 pcs of  1590b 4$ each
550 pots of all values for 0.1$ each!!!!!that's a price...0.1$= 0,072 euros each!!!

till now everything works right..

pt2399  20 pcs  0.2$ each...tested all of them.working!

100 knobs for 5$

all costs at about 120 euros + 100 euros shipping = 220 euros

just imagine that 550 pots would only cost 550euros.....
i think that taking the risk ordering from china is fair enough...

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Excellent deal!

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

alltrax74
I mainly use Tayda and Musikding for almost everything and some varous ebay sellers for some specific components I don't find elsewhere
For enclosures the best deal to me is China daier, 10x1590B for $44 including shipping to Europe, that's about 3€40 each

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

tjdracz
So what's the quality of bitcheslovemyswitches 3pdts compared to say eBay cheapos and poodle pedal parts ones? I had mixed results with Tayda and bitsbox ones. Any discernible difference between them and let's say more expensive Electro-Harmonix ones?
Also, any good sources for good DPDT's? Alphas and such? X-wings from bitsbox are bullshit, melt straight away and aren't nice touch. I don't use leds so 3pdts are not really essential in my builds

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

cylens
wow, 550 pots for 55 dollars is amazing... are they 16mm alpha? care to share the link to the seller?
thanks!

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Geiri
Here's my take on things:

I make pedals for a living and I build all day. I've spent a lot of time sourcing parts and I buy lots of stuff on eBay. The pots I'm using are these: click here and the seller has more values, but only linear.

I've been using them for a long time with no issues yet. As with anything that has moving parts, there can be faulty parts in a big batch but that's not common at all. It's still worth it to me.

I buy enclosures, switches and knobs from Daier which have the best price I've found and the service is really good. I buy the Belton BTDR-2 bricks directly from Accutronics and the price is less than half of the cheapest price if found so far, which is from Banzai.
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
this is it.
and yes they are alpha 16mm

http://jxdz.en.alibaba.com/product/791889254-212977931/Potentiometer_B10K_10K_103_15mm_3pin_WH148.html

and that is the company that i ordered all the stuff i've wrote.

i was talking online with jasmine yang for at about one month (if she is reall...!!!) and she was really helpfull.
(i don't know anyone from this company)
they only have lin pots for now, but i think that if people ask them to get log too they'll do.
for exsample they didn't have any 1590b and pt2399, and they ordered from someone else so that they will not "loose" my order...

anyway...they have a lot of things that we use and they've send products to me here in greece in 10days+15days in customs.... there are customs too that you have to pay but it depents on witch country you live...

i think i've spoke with daier supplier too but can't remember why i didn't bough from them...

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Geiri
Hate to break it to you cut those aren't Alpha pots. It's the same as I'm using. Still good pots!
www.pedalprojects.com
www.facebook.com/pedalprojects

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

tjdracz
Further to my question about switches above, has anyone bought enclosures from Daier in the UK? How are the custom charges? Seems like the customs are onto me an everything I buy recently had some charge, including an order from Tayda

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

ichilton
I ordered a load of boxes from them a while back - they all arrived fine and I didn't get charged customs.

Ian

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

tjdracz
Cheers Ian, good to know. They seem to even have wah shells which could be nice. I coul make my Univibe in Crybaby Shell!

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

peterinio
Καλησπέρα Ξεναγέ!

Sorry for refreshing this old thread, but since I'm just starting out, I wondered if you could direct me to the places where you shop for parts here in Greece (or online) - it seems that transistor/pot and IC selection is *kinda* limited with physical retailers here!

Thanks!

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

Pavlos
Hi peterinio, and welcome there is a thread in Open Chat that has a lot of good suggestions for where to buy and where to avoid so I'd suggest having a good look there and see what works best for yourself. Very few places are good for everything though so you might find yourself favouring a few different places depending on what you need at any particular time.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Reliable-and-Unreliable-Part-Sellers-Ebay-or-Webstore-tp38548.html

Re: Sourcing components - tips, tricks and bargains?

peterinio
Hey Pavlos!

Thanks a lot for directing me to the correct thread!

And also a big thank you to this community, you are very kind for posting all this info and in depth explanations and tutorials for us newbies :)
1234