Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

anders
Here is a verified layout of Spaceman Effects Saturn V. It's quite a powerful booster with light overdrive qualities when the Drive knob is maxed. Dino T traced it and the schematic is avaiable over at DIYSB.

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Muadzin
Color me stupid but what the hell is ferrite bead? First time I come across.

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

amsterdam
It's a passive component that suppresses high frequency noise.

Here's a few:

http://www.newark.com/search?st=axial%20ferrite%20bead

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Mulekicker
I was gonna ask the same thing, is there a particular one used in these Spaceman builds?

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Hozy31

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

PMowdes

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

PMowdes

We have some pcb's available if anyone is interested

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

BetterOffShred
Built it with this layout too, sounds great.  It really has a ton of boost, and the gain gets pretty decent, it's pretty nice to goose a fuzz as well.  Thanks Anders, Dino, PMowdes.  Lots of fun

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

BetterOffShred
Another note, as for "Ferrite Beads" I had been using "Z-max Gold" chokes made by Ferronics up to this point, but I'm about to run out.. I got a bag on E-bay for cheap.. and now there nowhere to be found!  Like.. nowhere!  Mouser doesn't even carry them.   If anyone finds a source for them let me know.  I really like them.   I think it's fitting for these spaceman effects because honestly I'm drawn to their aesthetics.. shame on me!
-Brett

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

glasspak73
Can i use IRF510 in place of the LND150N3 for this circuit?
 the difference i found is
 IRF510 vds is 100v   LND150N3 vds is 500v
IRF510 pd is 20w       LND150N3 pd is 0.74w
IRF510 ld is 5.6a       LND150N3  ld is 0.03A

Since this circuit is only running at 9v would there be much of a difference?
I really hope this isn't a stupid question? I have the IRF510 have to order the LND150N3

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

MOPO
Hello,
Works very well, close to the original but I have a poc at the engagement of the effect and when I turn off too.
Is it for you too?

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

digi2t
With or without an LED? If with, disconnect the LED and try it again. If the on/off click disappears, well... there is a reason why the originals carried Millenium switching (which is not present on the vero version).

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

MOPO

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Mulekicker
I've built a couple true bypass Saturn's without any pops but I believe someone did a millennium version in the contributions.

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

MOPO

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Mulekicker
I used Anders'.

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

MOPO

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Mulekicker
Sorry, I always use our wiring from the offboard wiring page. The only thing I do different is put the clr on the switch itself. I'll have to check mine and see if I did the clr on the board or switch. I'll check and get back to you.

Re: Spaceman Effects Saturn V Booster - Verified

Mulekicker
Just checked. I used a 4.7k for on the board (per anders layout) and a blue led. You could always try a 1m resistor from input to ground on the switch, that usually fixes most popping issues I've had with other pedals.