Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

That’s because those both swapped out the 2n2 for a 100n but the Merkin kept the 2n2

As I mentioned in my first post, it’s really common to change that cap in clones but then it doesn’t sound like a fuzzrite
KT

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

KT
yesss the merkin.. I sold mine, but before I sold it I did a quick test and I almost regretted selling it

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Travis wrote
That’s because those both swapped out the 2n2 for a 100n but the Merkin kept the 2n2
Hey Travis,

Referencing the Green Bomb layout, changing the input cap (C3) to 2.2n (as is noted in the layout) will get a more fuzzrite sound.

So, I'm going to add a 3 pos DPDT switch to get a range of cap values there...i'll use 2.2n and a 100n, but what other value cap do you think would be interesting?  a 47n maybe?  or what could I put in there to make it really weird?

Thanks!!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

By using a DPDT you will get 3 positions but one of the caps will always be in circuit and the other two are added in parallel. So you gotta consider that if the 2n2 is the always on cap, the other caps will be summed in parallel

If you’re doing kindof a thin, medium, thick kinda thing then I’d probably have 2n2 as the thin, and 100n as the thick. The middle will likely be something like 3n3-15n

I’d say 2n2 and 100n are pretty safe bets, but try a few different values for the other cap to see what you like

You could also get more inbetween sounds by using a cap blend pot or rotary switch instead of a DPDT

Not sure what to do to make it really weird, or what exactly you mean by really weird. Maybe a boost before the fuzz or a starve could get some more destructive sounds

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Thanks Travis!

I'm going to get working on this Green Bomb w/ switchable caps, and I'll report back when done!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Sphere80
I just built these two:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Ghost-Effects-Lunar-Incantation-td22146.html

That one has an effective output cap pot to bring in heavy lows and back to buzzy highs. And then this one, which is the fuzziest Fuzzrite type I've built so far:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Basic-Audio-Spooky-Tooth-td43984.html

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Sphere80 wrote
I just built these two:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Ghost-Effects-Lunar-Incantation-td22146.html

That one has an effective output cap pot to bring in heavy lows and back to buzzy highs. And then this one, which is the fuzziest Fuzzrite type I've built so far:
http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Basic-Audio-Spooky-Tooth-td43984.html
Ha!

Now I have to build the Ghost Effects Lunar Incantation too.  Sphere80, Did you use the BC108B's in there, or did you settle on different trannies?

Thanks for the input!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Sphere80
BC549B, which should be the newer equivalent in plastic package.

The original's build instructions say:
"Q1 + Q2 = BC108 npn (any common npn transistor will work)
In terms of gains I aim for the 150-300 hfe range for each one, Q2 being the highest gain."

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Sphere80
This post was updated on .
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/02/seppuku-fuzz-overloader.html

Try this one if you want even more distortion. We're moving away from the classic sound now.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Gabi Smith
I find this video very instructive about how the different circuits sound :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdJWv4emZdY

To get that great 60's instrumental garage sound, and to be faithful to history, I would try a late 60's circuit, but not the fuzz face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HawzQe4HlVs

And if you want to get totally psycho, you can try the fuzz circuit of the  old fuzz/wa by color sound. I've got one at home (that i must renovate). This funking awesome stinking thing just sounds like a real chainsaw massacre terror.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

I love Joe Gore but he did not do a good job building those circuits. They don’t sound the way they’re supposed to

The fuzz in the Colorsound Fuzz Wah is basically a Fuzz Face

If I were to pick a fuzz from the Fuzz Face camp for spaghetti western it would be a Vox TB or Fuzz Factory

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Gabi Smith
This post was updated on .
I agree that the color sound circuit is the same than a fuzz face, but it doesn't have the same sound, maybe because the values of the different elements are different.

Mine, with the trimpot on the half (so, with a drop of volume when I switch on the fuzz) really have the nasty sound that can be heared on Electric Prunes records. I Don't think it's possible to have it with a fuzz face.

Edit : I also agree I wouldn't use the word "spaghetti" about the bikers movies.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SpaceCommandant
Travis, do you know of any decently comprehensive, comparison videos for these old-school fuzzes?

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Gabi I agree with everything you said there. I like the Colorsound I just have so many other fuzzes and didn’t care for the wah very much in my setups

SpaceCommandant unfortunately not. The internet is waiting for someone to come along with the collection of pedals and talent/gear to demo that for us! Joe Gore has the talent for sure but not all of the effects in that video are well represented IMO

It’s not the most scientific way to compare, but most of these classic effects have some player that made them classic. Just about any classic effect will have some track that embodies the sound quality that we are looking for. For the FZ-1 you could listen to Satisfaction, Superfuzz - Live at Leeds, Fuzz Face -Jimi, Buzzaround - King Crimson, etc

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
I finished my round of "Spaghetti Western" inspired (Fuzzrite) builds.  Here is my brief report/opinion on each:

Merkin:
The Merkin, even with it's limited controls, was to me, the best sounding.  It especially nailed that buzzsaw "biker movie" sound.  Extremely chord and single note friendly - it has a simple tone, but what a great sound.

The Green Bomb:
This effect was the most "springy" sounding.  It was very chord & single string friendly, and it was more smooth and not as "mean" as the Merkin.

Meathead (w/ Switchable Caps):
This one was my second favorite.  This build was more overdrive sounding. You can get it to fuzz out, but it mostly acted more as a drive...and I really liked that.  This thing is HEAVY.

Spooky Tooth:
I was the most excited for this one...however, it was the most "sputtery" of the bunch...a little too sputtering for me. It was the most versatile, but it just didn't get that sound I was looking for.  There may be some issues with my build, and I'm going to exchange some transistors to see if I can manipulate it into a more spaghetti western sound.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

GrooveChampion
Damn that is some beautiful art work

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
This post was updated on .
Nice work! I've made all of those circuits (plus I recently made the Ghost Lunar Incantation) but when I need some buzz I still reach for the Companion. Highly recommended.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
I put together the Lunar Incantation too...but I ran out enclosures to box it up!

Mulekicker wrote
when I need some buzz I still reach for the Companion. Highly recommended.
For you Companion build, did you build the straight up FY-2, or the modded version with mid control?

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
With the mid control and a boost at the end to deal with its lack of volume. I built it a while ago so I'm not sure what layout I used.
12