Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Hey everyone.

Looking for a weekend project, and I decided I want a nasty fuzz box that will make my living room sound like a B-movie biker flick or a gritty old Sartana western.

I see a bunch of Fuzzrite builds on here, so can anyone suggest a layout that you know may suit my needs?  Or maybe something other than the Fuzzrite?

there is this:
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Effects/Fuzz-ODs/Mosrite/01-Fuzzrite_with_mods.png

and this:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2015/08/mosrite-fuzzrite-germanium.html

and this:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/07/mosrite-fuzzrite.html

Thanks in advance!  This community rules!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
Check out the Basic Audio Spooky Tooth in the contributions. I also really like the fy2 Companion fuzz for buzzy, biker fuzz.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

I have two Fuzzrites. The classic version of the Germanium circuit and the Sprague module Silicon version

The Germanium version is the one with the spaghetti western sound IMO. Many of the clones modify the circuit for more low end, which will give you a more modern sound. I would build a straight up clone of the Ge Fuzzrite.

Another good option would be a Maestro FZ-1 but that is a more difficult build and gets that sound better with humbuckers vs single coils in my experience

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
I need to build a ge fuzzrite. I'm never entirely happy with any of the silicon versions I've made.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Alright!

I'm going to build up both - the Spooky Tooth and the Fuzzrite.

Travis - The Ge transistors (2N2613 & 2N408) in your layout are downright impossible to find.

So, I was thinking about using an MP38A for Q2, but I need a suggestion for Q1 (100-150 HFE).

What do think?

Thanks!!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Wait...I can't use my MP38a (it's NPN, and I need PNP).

So, any suggestions on "easier" to find PNP Ge trannies?

Thanks!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

What transistors do you have? The layout can be changed to NPN easily if that’s all you’ve got

I haven’t ever tried cloning my Fuzzrite so I don’t have any specific transistor suggestions. I would breadboard it and throw a litany of transistors at it until I’m happy with the sound

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
My Ge collection is pretty slim...

I have:

(NPN)
MN38A (HFE between 40-60)
AC176 (HFE 95)

(PNP)
MN25B

I'd like to get some more germaniums, if anyone has any suggestions for this Fuzzrite, let me know!

Also, what do I change to make the layout NPN?  The 2 NPN trannies i have MAY work out.

THANKS!!!!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

You could also order a set from smallbear. If you’re going to make it NPN, you need to flip the electrolytics and the polarity of the circuit.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Let me know if you need any help changing the layout to NPN. There’s no point including the charge pump if you use NPN transistors so that can be omitted and the polarized cap can be flipped

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Sphere80
I made the Catalinbread Merkin from the main page layout.  It's a little louder than the original Fuzzrite so I'm also down to build a germanium one along with you.

Smallbear's Fuzzrite page for their NPN pair says "..high-gain device for Q1 and a low-leakage device for Q2."

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Travis wrote
Let me know if you need any help changing the layout to NPN. There’s no point including the charge pump if you use NPN transistors so that can be omitted and the polarized cap can be flipped
Travis,

What is the advantage of a PNP build as opposed to a NPN?  It seems like NPN would always be easier/practical for chaining purposes and less components.  Is is just that PNP is nice for transistor options?

I do need help with a Ge NPN layout...though my skills are just fine with the reading and execution of these circuits, my writing/design is still developing!

Thanks everyone!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
Travis is more knowledgeable about these things than I, but basically, finding npn germs that aren't super leaky is not easy. Pnp are far more consistent. Also, I built the Spooky Tooth last night and it's awesome. Really versatile, lots of cool sounds in that one.
KT

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

KT
I thought some of the russian ge npns are not leaky at all?

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
Right. Mp38's are the most consistent I believe but with pnp's you'll find much more variety in gain ranges.  Other than fuzzfaces, I just always build a converter board. I stocked up on 7660s ic's from Mouser.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
Mulekicker wrote
Travis is more knowledgeable about these things than I, but basically, finding npn germs that aren't super leaky is not easy. Pnp are far more consistent. Also, I built the Spooky Tooth last night and it's awesome. Really versatile, lots of cool sounds in that one.
Mulekicker,

I was looking through my NPN's and I have 2N2222A and PN2222A.

The layout for the Spooky Tooth calls for 2N2222a (TO-92), but I'm only seeing 2N2222a in TO-18 (metal can packaging), where the PN2222A are TO-92 plastic packaging.  Are these 2 trannies essentially interchangeable?

Just curious on what you used, sorry if it's a silly question!   Thanks!!

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Mulekicker
Yep. You can use either. I actually used 2 metal cans with an hfe of 214 and 216 and the 1st 5089 I pulled out of the bag. I think John Lyons has used both metal and plastic from the gutshots I've seen.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

aelling
Either of those will work, when I traced it I just got confused because Q1&Q2 where marked like these

But yeah, any low gain NPN will work in Q1&Q2.

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

SeaWitch
This post was updated on .
Has anyone here built the Green Bomb?

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Apocalypse-Audio-Green-Bomb-Fuzz-td28049.html

What did you think?

Here is another layout I found @ FSB:

Re: Spaghetti Western Nastiness...

Sphere80
I built the Green Bomb and the RiteFuzz it's based on, but neither sizzled as much as the Merkin.
12