Speaker Level to Line Level

Dulouz
I have a record player with a small low wattage built in speaker.

I would like to install a line out jack so I can hook it into my stereo. I realize that the level will be too hot to go straight in without some sort of attenuator. Could I just go speaker wire>pot>output jack? If so, what value?

Re: Speaker Level to Line Level

adstrum
I suspect you will need to also put in a shunt resistor between the output and ground.

Re: Speaker Level to Line Level

Unless your record player has tubes, you won't need a dummy load, though you could still use one.  Find the impedance of the speaker and put a power resistor of that value from signal to ground.  In parallel to the power resistor, put a resistor between signal and lug 3 of your pot, lug 1 to ground, lug 2 to output.  This will behave like a pot that can't be turned all the way up.  The values of the pot and resistor depend on how much attenuation you want.

Alternately, you can skip the dummy load and just put the power resistor between signal and lug 3, but you'll need a larger resistance in the power resistor than the speaker impedance.

But this might all be overkill.  Small speakers can run off line/headphone level. You might not need anything but a patch cable.

Before you decide what to do, answer these three questions:
1. What is the impedance of the speaker?
2. What is the power rating of the record player's built-in amplifier?
3. How loud is it through the internal speaker?

Re: Speaker Level to Line Level

Dulouz
Thanks induction!

I'll try to get answers these three questions tonight and get back to you!