Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

Charan
Hi, I'd like to make a lo-fi pedal or tank with an actual spring reverb unit (MOD, Accutronics, etc.). I saw this one: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.nl/2012/12/cook-spring-reverb.html but it seems to get pretty low ratings from the comments.

Does someone have a relatively simple solid state circuit for driving a reverb unit? I am ok with dirty sounds and happy to have it in a pedal where I can kick it to make some thunder :) I'd like to avoid expensive transformers and tubes if possible.

Thanks!

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

If I copy and paste a link within the forum it usually doesn't work

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/p/forum.html?m=0

Try that link, if it doesn't work just type "surfy bear" into the search

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

Charan
Travis, thanks for your message! The weebly link in that post is dead, but I found that they sell a kit. It's a bit pricey and more so with shipping from Europe.

Do you know of a veroboard version?

I found this schematic for a Craig Anderton Reverb driver, but I dk if that's the same circuit: http://www.tdpri.com/attachments/imageuploadedbytdpri1431842075-132061-jpg.285769/

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

Charan
Will this do the job?

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

Sorry, I haven't tried any of the solid state drivers. I built a copy of the Fender 6G15 which is really really nice in my opinion. Since the Surfy Bear is the most similar to the 6G15, that'd be my choice. Seems like the people that built the Surfy Bear really think highly of it. Haven't seen a stripboard layout for it, but with the heat sinks and propensity for noise in reverb circuits the PCB would probably be the best bet

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

jubal81
Agreed on the Surfy Bear. Don't bother with the Cook or Center Stage - they will both disappoint.
MAO

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

MAO
loe just built this one, might want to check with him on the results

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Ruthenium-Reverb-td38024.html#a38394
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
gul

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

gul
The Ruthenium Reverb build is great! MAO did an awesome job on the layout, works like a charm. Plus, it's a quick build and not a lot of expensive parts. The priciest thing was the tank itself. I got the tank at Antique Electronic Supply for $9:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/reverb-tank-accutronics-amc-2bf3

I highly recommend giving it a go. It's lofi AND, you can definitely kick it to give it that thunder! Hahahaha...

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

Charan
Thanks for letting me know. That is a great deal on the tank btw! What is the input impedance expected for the circuit? I got this one from Small Bear:
http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/reverb-tank-4db2c1d/

He said it'd work for the Stage Center Reverb, but I haven't built it yet. Maybe I'll build the one you posted if the impedance will match up.

Also, could the build be simplified by omitting the tone pot and omitting the drive trimmer (i.e., maximum drive)?

One more question: Have you tried this with electric guitar or only synth? I'm asking because some of the circuits I've seen need to have a pretty hot input to get a decent output.
gul

Re: Spring Reverb Driver Circuit

gul
IMO, the tone pot and gain trimmer both help to dial in the most usable sounds. You might want to ask Felix (the guy who created the circuit, m-kresol on the Madbean forum) about the mods you mentioned.

I have only played two guitars through it so far... A little kids' guitar I keep at my workbench that has one single coil pickup in it, and a Fender Mustang with humbuckers. It definitely gets plenty of guitar signal to my ears.