Stereo (panning) Tremolo

Heath
Anyone know of a good stereo/panning tremolo that might be vero-able?

Barring that, anyone know how to maybe modify an existing layout to split into two signals that wank opposite each other?

If I'm being confusing, check out the beginning of:

Thanks!!

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

nocentelli
This post was updated on .
I've always fancied trying this, but never got around to it. You can have sync'd panning, straight tremolo or two independent trems. If you don't need the two separate trems you can just leave off the lower Lfo and the sync/unsync switch.

http://commonsound.org/panneur/panneurscheme.gif

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

"that wank opposite each other?"

Heath, that is the best typo ever - or was it deliberate!

Only one that springs to mind is the awesome but discontinued Boss PN-2.

You do know how they got that sound though? Two micced up Fender Twins at either end of a corridor, each with an engineer sitting next to them, tweaking the trem rate knobs to keep them in synch.

I have a Tremulus Lune, but I was not aware of a stereo version.

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

I did find this though - looks like you could add it to any tremolo to convert it to stereo?
Could it be put on a daughter board? I would definitely go for this if someone could do a layout.
I could add it to my Schaller.

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Tremolos%20and%20Panners/Left-Right%20Panner.GIF

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

Heath
nocentelli wrote
I've always fancied trying this, but never got around to it. You can have sync'd panning, straight tremolo or two independent trems. If you don't need the two separate trems you can just leave off the lower Lfo and the sync/unsync switch.

http://commonsound.org/panneur/panneurscheme.gif
I'm going to eat some Wheaties and consider trying that out :D  I'm just such a klutz at going from schematic to vero.  Still, AWESOME FIND and THANK YOU!

Beaker wrote
"that wank opposite each other?"

Heath, that is the best typo ever - or was it deliberate!
Heh, you ever get stuck for the right term?  I was typing and I got to "that ... opposite each other" and I was thinking... "Modulate?  no... Oscillate?  No...  Volumate?  Fuck, that's not actually a word...  Tremulate?  K, now that's just goofy.  Fluctuate?  Hmm...  Kind of?  BAH!  What do you actually call that wanking it does?"

Beaker wrote
Two micced up Fender Twins at either end of a corridor, each with an engineer sitting next to them, tweaking the trem rate knobs to keep them in synch.
You just made my day with that bit of trivia, dude.

Beaker wrote
I did find this though - looks like you could add it to any tremolo to convert it to stereo?
Could it be put on a daughter board? I would definitely go for this if someone could do a layout.
I could add it to my Schaller.

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Tremolos%20and%20Panners/Left-Right%20Panner.GIF
I'm definitely going to look into this.  Thank you!

Beaker wrote

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

Afrancis
did anyone ever get the scheme for stereo translated to vero?

I have a hankering for a Demeter Tremulator in Stereo and a Stereo Maggie Vibe. Set up a two amps/ three mics and i need to flex its sonic possibilities.

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

tabbycat
nocentelli wrote
I've always fancied trying this, but never got around to it. You can have sync'd panning, straight tremolo or two independent trems. If you don't need the two separate trems you can just leave off the lower Lfo and the sync/unsync switch.

http://commonsound.org/panneur/panneurscheme.gif
thanks for the post and link, nocentelli. am finally getting my ideas together re the feedback looper w stutter pedal i mentioned months ago on fsb. this looks like it might be in some way raidable for ideas for a left chop right chop pan thing.
it looks like building two separate trems and then making them synchable/unsynchable? is there not a way i could just build one and use either alternate lfo pulses for left and right, or above and below midpoint of pulse for left and right?
am working with a 555 trem atm but hoping to sub it with the lfo from cj's shoot the moon when i work out how to prise that from the rest of the circuit successfully.

Beaker wrote
"that wank opposite each other?"

Heath, that is the best typo ever - or was it deliberate!

You do know how they got that sound though? Two micced up Fender Twins at either end of a corridor, each with an engineer sitting next to them, tweaking the trem rate knobs to keep them in synch.
re "wank opposite each other" and the fender twin story, isn't that smiths single cover a picture of one of the engineers at one end of the corridor with a fender twin? maybe heath knows more about the story than we do? that would explain why the engineer is sitting around in his pants. that's not an image of poetic ennui, it's a portrait of a sound engineer with post-coital angst.
"i was looking for a job and then i found a job..."

Beaker wrote
I did find this though - looks like you could add it to any tremolo to convert it to stereo?
Could it be put on a daughter board? I would definitely go for this if someone could do a layout.
I could add it to my Schaller.

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/Tremolos%20and%20Panners/Left-Right%20Panner.GIF
thanks for the experimentalists link. i should spend more time there than i do, they are pretty on it with new ideas.

is that a panner or just a splitter? can't help feeling that if it was that simple it would be more known and used? also, why does r2 have no value?
always get a 'this can't be right, it looks easy?' feeling when sometihng i want to do has a resolution potentially this simple.

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

nocentelli
tabby,

If you want a stereo panning/trem pedal, you need two buffered audio paths for stereo, an LFO, and a means of inverting the single lfo: i found midwayfair's tweaked shoot the trem lune lfo, which buffers the LFO output and uses vref to balance the depth control.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9878279/Jon%20Patton%27s%20layouts/Quad%20op%20amp%20LFO%20with%20out%20of%20phase%20LEDs.png

Here the inversion is done by simply arranging the LEDs in opposite directions. You would then need to hook  D1 and D2 up to the ldrs in the lower two circuits of the panneur scheme. This is still 8 opamps, four duals or two quads. You could get it down to seven if you lost the second (unsync'd) LFO from the panneur, or even six if you used a single opamp mono input stage to buffer the signal and just split it to the two ldrs in the panneur but it's not much of a saving.

The excpanon scheme is a mono in, stereo out circuit with a pan control. Both outputs are in phase.

Re: Stereo (panning) Tremolo

tabbycat
This post was updated on .
nocentelli wrote
[...]

hey nocentelli, thanks for the jon patton link at your explanation of what's going on with it. will give it some careful consideration but still looks quite a mission for me at this stage. have got to get my head around translating schematics to breadboard this summer. all the build-by-numbers vero layouts here have spoiled me for getting by without that essential skill.

re the jon patton stuff, he does some nice things. was considering his 1776 multiplex echo thing recently. it's not bad for pt2399, lots going on for a byo.
ultimately went for a ghost echo in the end. the belton brick sings beyond anything the pt2399 alone can reach. am trying to avoid paying £150 for a used boss re20 stomp by building and the byo ghost is a pretty nice substitute for what i do

re the mono to stereo, i guessed it was a splitter. that would have been far too easy an answer to the problem.