Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion

This was requested by a friend, I am yet to try and build it.

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
I used this layout

And this FMV layout

And I added an LPB1 as a recovery stage after the tone stack

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
Question: Wouldnt it be simpler to just build a stock Stone Grey, deleting the stock tone control and volume and simply putting a Tonemender at the end?

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

Blackboarcult
I would delete the tone and volume controls and put a Marshall (or -insert fav T/S here-) tonestack with LPB and volume pot. The tonemender acts also as a huge volume booster so you may end up with crazy gobs of noise.

EDIT: I was referring to this one, stupid easy and simple to do

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
Which is more or less what I did in the layout, but thanks

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

Blackboarcult
Sorry, images would not open from my smartphone, now I see that's pretty similar to your original solution
I'm pretty sure Tone 1 can be omitted from original layout, and Vol3 wire can be run directly into the tonestack.

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
That's pretty much what I did, I omitted the original tonestack and the volume control and used the LPB1 as a volume control.

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

Blackboarcult
How does it sound? I'm curious to know. I don't really like the Stone Grey Distortion (a bit sterile to my ears) but I wonder if other dists from Mad Professor can be converted into some kind of hi-gain preamps.

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
Well I posted my layout here to be proofread, I havent built it, but I will try building the SGD with the tonestack and the LPB

Re: Stone Grey Distortion with FMV Tone Stack

GrooveChampion
So I built the pedal with the suggested FMV tonestack, but its not very responsive. Any ideas as to how remedy this?