Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Ciaran Haslett
This post was updated on .
Stupidly Awesome Buffer

Came up on the main blog and thought it looked interesting.  Development here along with some good talk on buffers in general and another layout by Iforgot.

Now Verified by zosotone

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

zosotone
verified!

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Ciaran Haslett
Great man thanks!

So is it stupidly awesome then?

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

zosotone
Sounds great. I thing that it's more transparent than the Cornish buffer that it's a little bit piercing for me. Also sounds with more headroom at 18v.

I want to try replace the 2M2 input resistor with a pot for a vari z input impedance for more control.

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

nonost
Hi Ciaran! I'm going to build this buffer and looking at the schematic I've noticed that you have omitted the 100k resistor to ground right before the output. Is there any reason for that?

Very compact layout, thank you!

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Ciaran Haslett
Hey nonost!  Apologies for taking so long to get back.  That 100K provides a drain to GND for the 10u cap and a slight attenuation of the output signal from the opamp that really isn't necessary but truth be told....it looks like I completely forgot it when I drew this layout

It won't make much of a difference with or without it to be honest.

Cheers and Happy Christmas

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Enzo
Hello everyone!
I state that it's my first post, if something is wrong, please let me know.
I know that this 3D is a bit old and I don't know if I'll receive reply, but I will try

I just started building boards, so I'm pretty rookie

I built this buffer but I have a doubt: is it possible that on the scheme the input and output are inverted?

I checked holes, links, tested components before soldering, there are no unwanted bridges, offboard connections are ok, I didn't make any changes to the scheme but when I connect the buffer to the guitar and ampr, if I respect input and output jacks as they are, the sound is very thin and the volume too low.
If I reverse input and output, it sounds, volume is similar as I put guitar into amp and it sounds like a buffer should sound (at least I think).

If not, do you have any idea what might have happened? does something elude me?

Cheers, Enzo.

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

nonost
Hi Enzo! I built one of this but it isn't boxed....Although I remembered I did sound. I guess I can check it out  with some alligators clips and such.

Have you checked the op amp voltages and orientation? Diodes have polarity, is yours ok?

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Enzo
Hi Nonost, tnx for the reply

Yes, op amp voltages, orientation and diode are ok: I tried to mount the amp reverse and didn't sound.

After checking all the board, I decided to box it and it sounds great... with reverse input/output jack, don't know were I'm wrong and why it sounds

In any case, just out of curiosity, if you could give it a try I'd be grateful

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

nonost
Ok, I'll check it but...since it works with input/output reversed, could it be you have done wrong the footswitch or jack wirings? I can't think other reason.

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

Enzo
Hi Nonost, apologies for taking so long time to reply...

Well, I didn't use a footswitch on this board so it couldn't be wrong :/

Re: Stupidly Awesome Buffer by soulsonic

nonost
This post was updated on .
I've checked op amp voltages:

1: 150mV