Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

gaffled
Haven't seen this one here and I would try a vero of it if I didn't suck at designing them.   Brian was nice enough to give the schematic over a fsb.  Here's the thread and schematic:

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2359
MAO

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

MAO
I couldn't find the schematic. Do you have a copy?
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

gaffled
There's one about 3/4 down the page, reported by marshmellow, but I can try to post it now on my phone.  If it doesn't work I have it saved on my computer and will post it when I get back home

gaffled
MAO

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

MAO
This post was updated on .
Oops, I wasn't logged in. Thanks.

Between the drawn schematic and John's PCB I should be able to draw up a vero. I'll try to knock it out tonight.

Mike

Awesome, I should be able to verify it fairly quickly, thanks.
MAO

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

MAO
Here you go,

I noticed the hand drawn schematic had the Fuzz lug 2 cap value as 2u2,  johnk's pcb has it as 10uf. Might want to socket that one and try both values.

Also, as usual, I angled a few components for a better fit.

Let me know how it goes
Mike

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

MAO
This post was updated on .
Heads up, I was looking over the comments at FSB, and it seems C4 may also be 2u2, not 10u. (cap from Bias 3 to ground).

Both the schematic and Johnk had C4 as 10u, but the circuit designer Brian mentioned on FSB he thought c4 was 2u2 and the very first gut shot post listed it as 2u2.

You may want to socket both caps (c4 & c7) and try both 2u2 and 10u.
Mike

I've updated the layout accordingly.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

Gaffled1
Finally got the time to build this and it works great.  Thanks for making the layout, I'm still at SHO vero level.  I just put in two 10uf caps and it worked great so I didn't even bother trying 2.2uf's.  Anyways thanks again.
MAO

Cool, and you're welcome.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

Hozy31
Built this today and used 2u2 caps and i get a real squeal when i turn the fuzz pot near max. I presume this means they should both be 10u caps. It still sounds mega bad ass though. Will change one at a time and see what effect that has. Report back soon.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Ok changed one cap tp 10u and it did nothing. Changed both and it has reduced the squeal a bit. Any suggestions? Its not that bad though and i can probably live with it.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

mercury6
is this the same as the tomato fuzz by subdecay. it looks the same. same enclosure controls and paint color. I used to have one and the gate makes for a really cool and synthy type gated fuzz that sounds a little different than other gated fuzzes. diffenetly sounds like a soft gate

Re: Subdecay fling tomato fuzz

HamishR
FWIW I know that John sometimes increases the values of some caps as he is a bass player and likes to modify his pedals for bass - that might be why the caps are different.