Suggestion on a better multimeter

bsas
Hey guys,

So, I think I am already considered addicted to the whole DIY pedals thingy after like 20 veros :D
Then, I was thinking about upgrading my multimeter (a cheap $10-20 one from Amazon). I was thinking about the Fluke 117 for around $150 (looks like a good deal). Do you guys suggest any other one before I pull the trigger?

Thanks!

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

Can't go wrong with a fluke. They're made for those in the field, and built to last. Just remember that because of that they're not inexpensive. With that being said $150 is a good price, as they go between $130-$250 based on addons. The fluke 117 is a great meter too. I've got my dad's old fluke 12, because he got a new one with more features, and it's never let me down and it's taken a bearing over the course of it's life.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

Yeah you won't go wrong with a Fluke. As Zach said, made to be used and abused for years by Electricians, so will easily survive being dropped from heights, stood on, etc.

Totally overkill for building pedals, but will do everything you need and more, reliably and consistently.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

definitely overkill for pedals, but i'm known for going overboard. i also use mine for everything from when i've done electrical work on my car to my house as well so it's really not just for pedals and guitars to be honest.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

bsas
I know it is overkill, but I use the multimeter for a bunch of other stuff as well (like cars, washer/driers, etc).

Yea, I am very pumped that I got this coupon code to get it that cheap. For people interested, just do this:

Go to this bundle:
http://www.tequipment.net/Fluke117.html?Source=googleshopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0-GxBRDWsePx0pPtp4sBEiQACuTLNjJc_5nGWjHx0cV_VydaiGW-cWUs3DQGVWIKMY8IpoEaAsed8P8HAQ

Which is the Fluke 117 + IWH C-66 Case for $158.88 (free shipping) and use the coupon code "eevblog6" at the checkout!

Total: $149.35 (free case, free shipping) :D

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

bsas
Just FYI for everyone, I kind of regret to buy the Fluke 117 already and I am looking for returning it and buy the Fluke 17B+ instead.

The reason is that I just read the reviews later (my bad) and the 117 model is design towards electricians and not electronics. Therefore, it cannot measure current below 1mA.

It is an amazing multimeter based on all reviews and I am still unsure if I will return and just keep it (for biasing amps with it since it can hold high voltage/current), but I want to buy the 17B+ and now I under budget constraint :D

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

Yea. The 17B took the place of the 12, which is what I have. The main difference is they changed the buttons to a dial. Supposedly the touch sensors kept blowing so they went with a dial. Seriously, it's a great meter, you'll love it.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

tabbycat
since the jump from $10-20 to $150 is pretty much a quantum leap in price terms (and one that i can't justify in my current financial straights) is there anything in the sub £30 (or sub $50) worth looking out for, especially second hand, that would be an improvement on the basic one most beginners pick up when they start pedal building.

i have the basic cheapie dt830b which does a hell of a lot for no money (hfe blue socket unreliable so i just plucked mine out and replaced with sil sockets. easy tweak. now can read hfe up to 1000).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yellow-Lcd-Digital-multimeter-voltmeter-ammeter-/321712505505?hash=item4ae78f42a1:g:V0EAAOSw34FVG~Lj

only thing it can't do that i wish it could is read caps, so that is the next thing i 'need' as far as features to make doing what i do easier. being able to read hfe above 1000 is also something i would make good use of (darlingtons, etc). beyond that, everything else i would consider luxury and non-essential for me at my present level.

any ideas would be much appreciated.

RE: Suggestion on a better multimeter

Chris60601
This post was updated on .
I own a BK precision. It's a reasonable priced unit and lots on eBay
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

I think you are going to struggle to get what you want in your price range Tabbycat.

I hate to say it, but Maplin are really good for multimeters. Check out their range, and find one you like. If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, do so if you want.

You can easily get a really good meter for under £30 with transistor and cap tester - look at auto-ranger models as they are much easier to use.

The problem is the Darlingtons. I have never come across a multimeter that can handle Darlingtons. The limit for HFE readings is 1000. Anything higher will just give an out of range error (OL). Someone please correct me if they know different.

That's where specific transistor testers like the Peak DCA testers come in.

Re: Suggestion on a better multimeter

tabbycat
many thanks for the heads up, chris and beaker, i will follow those leads and see what i can find.

re the darlingtons, i wonder if there's any small and simple vero layout (like fet tester http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zLpU6E6w8xs/UBRUu_pzPhI/AAAAAAAACCo/3XLcB0oReSc/s1600/Greatly+Improved+JFET+Matcher+II.png) that could be knocked up to divide whatever the darlington measures by a fixed mutiple. like half or a tenth (to get the end reading under 1000).
so you plug the darlington into the tranny socket on the vero and take three wires from vero to hfe reader.