Switching Question

Kinski
I don't build pedals for anyone but myself for the most part. However, a friend asked me to make him a specific pedal. A clean boost and low-gain OD in one box. EXCEPT, he only wants one knob (Volume), and a switch to toggle between clean boost or OD. An impractical set-up, if you ask me, but whatever.

I'm basically going to build a clean boost, and a OD with all controls as internal trimpots (set the two trimpot volumes equal, and dial in the right about of dirt). Then wire it up so the toggle routes the signal to share a single external Master Volume. My question is this:

Certainly, the toggle with have to route the input signal to either the clean boost or OD. No problem. BUT, will I also need to wire the toggle so that ONLY ONE output is routed to the master volume at a time, or can I use two mixing resistors to hardwire both outputs to the Master Volume?

I'm guessing it would be best to just route one output at a time, as that would help reduce noise. But I'm concerned about popping that may occur during switching.

Sorry for the long explanation! Any thoughts?

Re: Switching Question

Aside from switching the inputs, you will just need to switch the outputs so only one is connected to volume 3 at a time. The other two volume pot connections don't need to move, so you can use a dpdt

"Mixing resistors".. the thought makes me cringe

Re: Switching Question

Kinski
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Travis. Although, I'll use a 3PDT for LED indication.

Re: Switching Question

Neil mcNasty
In cases like this I simply tell them: " No! You do not want that!"
I'm sorry to admit this, but some musicians sometimes ask for some really stupid shit, just because they want a cool looking pedal that they can brag about "being custom made just for me".
One of the reasons I only build pedals for highly professionals with a lot of experience, that know exactly what functions they actually need.

One good idea for cases like these, when you know they will be adjusting the trim-pots more than they expect.
Is to mount the trim-pots on a strip of vero, drill some small holes (like on the side or top/bottom of the pedal) and mount that vero fixed under the holes, so they can adjust them with a tiny screwdriver without opening up the pedal every time they change their mind.
As this probably will put some strain on the wiring and increase the possibility of wear and tear over time.

Re: Switching Question

Kinski
Yeah, I tried to convince him to at least have a volume for each circuit. But he really only wanted one volume. He has a very specific need for this, I guess. He tours full time with pop acts. Once he has a rig set up for a tour, i don't think it changes much at all. So he will just set and forget the trimpots. And less off-board wiring for me!

Re: Switching Question

Goga
Hello,

Why don't you build the Katana and job done? :)

You have a switch and one side OD one clean perfect boost.
I actually stopped making boosters after the Katana :)

(My personal thinking, sorry if I got the idea wrong.)

Re: Switching Question

Kinski
Hey thanks. Just checked it out. Seemed almost perfect, but the OD sections barely sounds distorted from the videos I saw. Seems to add the faintest grit to the signal. I think I'll need to add a bit more than that. But thanks!

Re: Switching Question

Kinski
Would just like to say I finally got my friends pedal up and running. And it works beautifully. No pops or noise. I put a clean boost and an OD circuit in one enclosure. All controls as onboard trimpots. A stomp switch switches between the two circuits routing to an external master volume (the only external control!). Bi-color LED to indicate which one is engaged. And a master on/off stomp switch (of course). Very cool. Thanks all for your thoughts!